1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Setup vs others

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warfender, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    First off I've setup dozens of basses and most not Fender so I'm not a beginner but not a pro luthier by any means. However, I have a really killer sounding Squier PBASS Special and can't for the life of me get it to not fret buzz (mainly above the 10th-11th fret area). I have set the relief within spec and had to raise action almost all the way up with is double that of most basses. I tried less and more relief as well as shimmed the upper pocket to try and kick the neck out a bit. The shimming helped a little bit but not sure if I should shim a bunch for this issue. Any ideas?

I've never experience a bad fret job but wondering if this could be the case. What is a normal fret leveling cost?

2. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Sounds like a bad fret job.
    It's part if buying a bass that sounds like $800 but costs $200

3. webelo

webelo

Jun 7, 2011
    Douglas, MA
    This is probably better suited for the Hardware and Setup page.

4. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Sometimes relief specs just won't do . . . rule of thumb . . . string buzz below the sixth fret, you generally need to loosen the neck . . . above the sixth fret, as in your case, you generally need to tighten up the neck. Of course, there are other things that could cause your issue, but if I were setting your bass up, this is where I would start!

5. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Yeah, that is what makes me wonder. I know if it is in the upper range then you need to tighten and flatten out the relief. however, I did that and it didn't help enough.

I do get some buzzing all over but mainly up high is the worst if I dig in or use a pick. If I play soft it is only up high and not too bad but still buzzy and the 12th fret is the worst.

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Get a good long straight edge and lay it on the neck with strings tuned. Look for "ski ramp" where the neck turns up abruptly just past the neck/body joint. Truss rod won't help that. It's not an easy fix. If it's not too bad, a fret leveling will help, but you may end up with very little fret left on the last few. If it's worse, a luthier can pull the last several frets and take down the fret board with a cabinet scraper, then reset/level the frets. This could cost as much as a new neck.

7. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA

These may help you . . .

8. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Well, I went back thru it after it sat to my specs for a couple days and seemed better, but playing aggressive I get buzz but I thik since I don't normally play that hard and was just trying to get major PBass tone it is more with me then the setup. The action needed to be higher than I used to as I'm a soft player normally. All my basses buzz under aggressive play. When I pick light and play my normal light finger style it is normal and I actually lowered the action back down. I think I'm overplaying and it is fine now.......wheeeew.

9. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    hi,,typically if you got fret buzz above the 12th fret the truss rod won't adjust for it... You probabaly have a high fret or an S bend in the neck..if you can tell if u have an S bend then sell the bass if not take it to a good luthier that can file frets to make it play great..i had to do this with my Fender american deluxe..

Good luck