Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender should make a Verdine White Sig Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hands5, Jan 13, 2004.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    1st I would like to congragulate all the players at Fender who have signature models name after them.Some deserved,and some I question,so whatever the case may be so be it.However with that being said if there was a player that deserved to have a sig model name after him IMO that player No Doubt should be Mr.Verdine White because he played Fender basses for years and also had his own distinct tone/style that stood out when he was playing his White Fender Jazz plus I'm talking about a player who is one of the founding members of a group that has had unparallel"success for damn'er 30 years.

2. Last time I saw EWF I think he was playing a Sadowsky PJ4.

3. Uh, Verdine White did have a signature bass--an Ibanez. It was basically the same thing as the new RKB.

Nobody likes this.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I recall that Peavey was at least going to do one several years ago. I don't know if it saw the light of day.

5. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I have seen two concert vidoes of EWF, one from teh 80's and one from the 90's. In both videos, it was obvious that Verdine was not actually playing the bass at least some of the time. What's up with that? Did he really lay those fantastic bass lines that are on their albums?

6. He most certainly did--he is a classically trained double bassist, remember. However, he dances around onstage so much that I wouldn't be at all surprised if they used backing tracks occasionally.

7. Oh yeah! I remember Verdine's white jazz bass quite well!!! I really loved his tone back in the day when I was just learning. I also loved his lines/style and the fact that he was all over that fretboard! Oh, and that dude is really a showman on stage!

8. Also, forgot to give him his props. As you see in my profile, he was one of my playing influences as I was learning how to groove. :)

9. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    They did this live broadcast thing a while back, and he was playing a Spector of some kind. He's the reason why I bought one!!

What a hell of a guy!!

--Matthew

10. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    He also played Yamaha basses for a number of years.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Verdine's first bass was a Telecaster.
    That is what he used on the early stuff like Earth, Wind and Fire and Last day's and time

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As well as being classically trained, he also has a degree in theatrics. He designed all of their stage shows, pyro, lights, the whole nine yards. He does use backing tracks. Peavey did a prototype for him, but I don't know what became of the project, but I do know that he gave Larry Graham one as a gift.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Wasn't his Peavey sig model basically the Rudy Sarzo sig but in white? Those were pretty advanced basses for their time (Sarzo came out '89ish).

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, the Peavey VW sig. bass was red, and the Sarzo was Purple. Other than that, I think they were the same.

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I said Fender.I give lest than a damn what Ibanez or Yamaha (he had both)

16. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    If I recall, Verdine did not record in the studio on EWF's older, most recognived recordings. I think he was only used on tours. I think on the newer stuff he plays bass in the studio as well as live tours.

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I remember that !

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    WHAT !:eek: .Then who did ?I'll give you the answer:Nobody.

19. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Probably the drummer:rolleyes: lol.

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Uh, yes he did. Before he graduated music school, I think Louis Satterfield (trombone) recorded some stuff, but this was in the VERY early '70's. Verdine is on ALL of the most recognized songs! In fact, he's on their protoges' songs as well, i.e. The Emotions (although they were around already), Denise Williams, & the Pockets.