1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Showman vs. Fender Bassman Tone Differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Feb 22, 2016.

1. I've had so many different amps and cabs and the only thing i haven't tried is a Fender Showman with the Showman 1x15" Tone-Ring Cab. I'm thinking about trying one out. But my question is this:

Is the circuit different between the Bassman and Showman Preamp wise? Or just add a vibrato and more power and you've got the showman? Not sure if it's worth getting the head or just playing a bassman through the cab.

also i regularly gig on small 50 watt amps and the like so the high power people feel free to not visit this thread.

cheers,

mark

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Showman tone stack is supposed to be the basis for the design used in the Alembic F2B and Mesa 400/400+.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    From 'The Soul Of Tone' by Tom Wheeler, on pages 236-237 you'll read where Leo Fender; Freddie Tavares, and Dick Dale collaborated together on the Showman. The big difference is that Leo invented a new 85-100 watt transformer and went from two power tubes to four. Of course the front end is different and is the AA763 circuit.

The Fender Bassman is the most revered amp of all time. Freddie Tavares had a tremendous amount of inventive input on the design culminating in the now famous 5F6-A circuit.

James Marshall would take the Fender Bassman circuit and turn it into a legacy that would make him a large fortune. It also earned him a knighthood of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in 2003. Now that's what I call powerful circuitry!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. ah so they are different, yeah the 85-100 watts isn't a big deal cause i can just get the bassman 100, same thing.

i'll have to try a showman then and see how the tone is compared to a bassman.

thanks.

Linnin likes this.
  5. If you like the tone of the normal channel of the Bassman,
    you'll like the normal channel of the Showman.

Linnin and markjazzbassist like this.
  6. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I love mine, this one is a '67 Dual Showman (4 ohm) recovered to look like an earlier one. The cab was custom built by a friend and is 15" deep and sealed, no port. The speaker is a 400W E-V 15BX converted to 4 ohms.

Great tube tone with more volume than you might think for 85 watts. The deeper cabinet helps.

DSCN1367.

7. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Very big Showman fan here. I have a 61 with the 1x15 tone ring cab and it is glorious with a good Jazz Bass. The only downside is the cab, while not as heavy, is as big as a Berg 6x10 or 2x15.
    24928472810_1026a79975_z.

I also have a blackface Dual Showman that I use with 2 Berg 1x12s and it's also a great (and louder) sounding rig. But the blonde with the 1x15 is my fave of the 2. Highly recommend trying one if you can.

markjazzbassist and 2cooltoolz like this.
  8. I got a showman cab headed my way. I will put it through the paces and see how it goes.

9. Is it a tone ring cab?

10. Almost certain. It's the correct dimensions, but I bought site unseen cause I got it for a steal. Exact showman dimensions pics looked like tone ring and he said it has an ev Sro 15 in there which leads me to believe it is one.

If not it will be cool still.

11. turned out the cab i got is a sealed showman cab. single 15, EV SRO 15. i don't think it's indicative of the Showman sound. Gonna keep searching for a Showman or maybe get that fender rumble cab, 40 lbs and 1x15 sounds good to me :)