Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Sidekick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BernardJohnson, May 23, 2001.

1. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    I recently went to a pawn shop and I put a bass amp on layaway...it's made by Fender (Fender Sidekick) the sales person didn't know for sure when it was manufactured...it has a 10" woofer...it's black with a tweed grill and the Fender logoon the front....Does anybody know any other details about this amp??? BJ

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    sounds like my old Fender Sidekick bass 30. That was a awesome amp. Loud for a practice amp. I thought the sound on it was real hip too.

3. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    Hey Gabu,

Thanks for the reply...I picked it up today and I'll be trying it out at home...I need a little amp for rehersals.....how is it with a drummer???

BJ

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, it's 30w... But loud for a 30w amp. I used to play through that with a drummer. For a guy starting out it should be okay. If your drummer likes to pound like hell, it won't be hard for him to drowned you out. Also, what guitar amp are you playing against? Because the mid-range frequencies played by a guitar are much easier to hear to the human ear, a 30w guitar amp will seem much louder than a 30w bass amp. When I bought my cyclops I really was just looking for another Fender Sidekick bass 30. My idea was to play through a chorus pedal through both amps. The reason - my guitarist was playing through a 130w Peavey amp. The only reason I didn't get it is I was having a hard time finding one for sale and then I came accross a great deal on the Cyclops.

Almost everyone here will say that you need at least between 200 and 400 watts to play out. This is true, but not true at the same time. I have played parties and two school concerts with my old fender sidekick. But, it helps to have a guitarist and drummer that are not competing with you volume-wise.

Good luck!

5. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    Hey Gabu,

I have been playing for a while...I have a SWR with a 15" woofer and tweeter...it's sweet and has a lot of punch....I brought the Sidekick for rehersals and small church affairs that don't require a lot of volume. My Jazz bass is really punchy with the SWR, the only draw back is the weight of the cabinet...that's why the Sidekick will be really handy
    for it's potability.....again thanks for the info...BJ