Fender Signature Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VJP, Dec 26, 2001.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Does anyone think the Fender Signature basses will be worth anything someday? I've got a Marcus Miller that I never play and I don't know if I should hang on to it. If Fender stops making them or Marcus weren't around anymore (horrible thought) I just wonder if they'd be collectible. Any thoughts? Or should I just sell it?
  2. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i have a geddy lee signature model...
    they stopped making it for awhile, and then started again not too long ago... seemed like nobody really noticed... nothing really happened with its value.
    i think "collectors items" and inflated prices require many factors other than just having a famous name on it....
    but then again, who knows?
    coincidentally, i've been thinking about selling my geddy lee :p
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It's nearly impossible to say what the future will bring in terms of bass values. In the case of the Marcus, its MIJ and not too expensive to start with, they've made a bunch of them and are still available brand new. If you don't play it, sell it.
  4. The absurdly high value of pre CBS fenders is mostly due to the fact that there aren't all that may on the market (not all that many made, and the good players generally aren't for sale) and the yuppie collector prestige factor.

70s Fenders go for a bit more than they are actually worth. and early 80s Squier basses are becoming a bit 'collectible'. But one thing is for sure. If your only reason for keeping the bass is to realise on an investment, you are wasting your time. Sell the bass, stick the money in an investment accout somewhere, and there's about a 99% certainty you will have made more in 10 years time that you would if you had kept the bass and sold it then....