Fender Signatures ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Are the fender signature series basses made in the USA. I want a Stu Hamm Urge II but don't some Cheaply made Mexi Model. They are quite expensive so I'd imagine they are made in the US but I don't see why Fender wouldn't advertise that they are US made. Please help!

2. To my knowledge all signature series basses, except the Steve Harris P-bass(which is Made In Japan) are Made In America!

But I could be wrong!
  3. Not so, the Geddy Lee is made in Japan.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sting is made in Japan.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As is *gasp* Marcus Miller. It is clearly mentioned at www.fender.com which models are made where.

Very few signature models are made in Mexico though - only the Blink-ones come to my mind.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The Urge comes in 2 models. A US and a foreign made one I believe.
  7. The older "Urge", 32" scale, came in two versions, an MIA and an MIM. It's no longer being made.

The newer "Urge II", 34" scale, comes in one version, MIA. I have one. It's a 2001 model which I ordered in Aug '01 and received in Oct '01.

It's an extremely well made bass. The fit, finish, and just plain overall quality is super nice. I got the 3-color sunburst and the woodgrain is absolutely beautiful. It's alder, but they came up with a gorgeous piece of alder to make this body. It came with a tweed hard case.

The neck is wider than a Fender "A" neck, but narrower than a Fender "B" neck. It's also a little assemetrical in the way it's shaped. I really prefer the B neck over the A neck, but the Urge II is closer to B size than A size and I have found it to be very comfortable. It's also a 24 fret neck, medium jumbo bass frets.

It's an extremely versatile instrument. The 3 pickups and the variations that you can work with them give it a very large sound pallet. It's takes a little experimentation to really get to know this bass, but when you do, it really grows on you. It will not nail a J-Bass, but gets real, real close. It will not nail a P-Bass, but likewise, real, real close. It has sound capability far beyound either the J or the P. For many applications, it will take the place of either, and give you a ton of sounds of it's own.

The list for it is $1850. You should be able to get it easily for $1295 (30% off). Any dealer that won't sell it to you for that, doesn't want to sell you one. I got mine for $1110 (40% off). It's takes a little more scouting around to do that, but it can be done. Especially if you're ordering it. Just lay it out to the dealer: he's ordering it for direct delivery to you. He has no stocking costs, no time investment of his money, and no chance of getting it damaged and losing on it while it hangs on his wall. It's easy profit, which is still over $175 for him. If he orders it at the same time as a regular order, the shipping charges are very minimal and most dealers will absorb them. Take your time and you'll find it for a good price.

I'm real happy with mine. Good luck.