1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Single coil question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LT131, Mar 12, 2016.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I have a Squier VM Tele with the Seymour Duncan design single coil. I am looking for more oomph. The stock PU measures at 8.7 which seems pretty good, however it sounds pretty tame.

Anyone have experience with other MFG's? Another poster sent this link,

Jess Loureiro Hand Wound Pickups P-bassĀ® 51 coil-split Tele-bass 2015 | Reverb

which looks very interesting. Mostly what I'm seeing elsewhere are more SD's. I'd prefer not to spend more than the bass is worth and am open to something used if easily found.

Thnx.

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    The Duncan Designed in that one is a foreign made licensed clone somewhere close to the SCPB-1 Vintage wind. If you want more oomph the real deal USA Seymour Duncan SCPB-2 and -3 are hotter and will be higher quality than the Duncan Designed unit.

3. The seller needs to be schooled on how pickups work. 12.4k Ohms is not the output of a pickup, it is the resistance to direct current. Output is measured in Volts. This sort of confusion is analogous to saying that your tire pressure is 30 miles per gallon, or that your computer's processor has a speed of 2 terabytes.

Lagaupia, 40Hz, wcriley and 1 other person like this.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    That's true,

but now we need a voltage output chart for comparison,

and voltage output depends on strings, distance from strings to poles, how hard the string is plucked...

5. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Excellent info! Any Recs on pickups other than the SD'S? I also see some SD antiquity's on the bay along with some original fenders but no info or reviews. Evidently this style is on the low end of the
    fender Totem pole.