Fender Slacking Off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warwick719, Feb 14, 2005.

1. warwick719

Dec 21, 2004
    Hey yall....how many of yall think that new fender either suck or arnt as good as the oldies....I played one in the local music store(usa jazz to be precise) and i honestly and truthfully thought it was a piece...i would never pay that kind of money for one but thats just me....Elaborate on the title above....do any of you fellow bassist fell the same or is it just me.....comment as you like........ROCK ON!!! :bassist:
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    only thing im not a big fan of is the finish. other then that, i love my 2004 mia p-bass.
  3. As far as I am concerned the artist line is the only way to go with Fender now.
  4. People are allways thinking companies are going downhil, just like ampeg are apparently ( i dont know to be fair tho :p )

Ive never been a big fan of fenders, but surely you could get the older styled pickups for a newer model ?
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I mostly agree with that :) Occasionally a top-o-da-line regular fender catches my eye, but none even come close to the quality of my Sterling. Geddy Lee jazzes reign superior to all other fenders in my book.
  6. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    see, i think this is a big "whats my opinion" type of deal. and here is mine.

i'm not a big fan of the finish on the newer gutars. i didnt like how i scratched the finish because i slipped trying to put a string in the back and now i have a huge scratch. im not into that.

the artist line. its ok, there is no solid p-basses though that i like. if you buy an fender mia bass or guitar,its gonna last just as long as anything else.

i went from a music man to this p-bass. i like a lot of the features on the music man stingray, but it just wasnt the sound i like,.
  7. imo, fender didn't get worse, i just think that newer technologies in basses have come out, while fender just stuck to the same formula. like shawn just said...this is mostly opinion. i don't really even see many drastic differences between vintage fenders and new fenders, other than maybe a different body wood, maybe a newer design pickups, but thats about it. i see a '75 fender jazz having a better mojo factor though, and i think it looks cooler, but mainly because its got a pickup guard and a bridge plate. and to the best of my knowledge, a lot of players took those off when they first got them because they got in the way, so fender just stopped putting them on.

In my own personal experiences, i have played both a 1978 P-bass, and a MIA 2003 P-bass, and they sounded very similar, but i was more drawn to the 78, because of the history it might have had! of course, i didn't get either one because a.) too much money b.) don't like p-bass tone
  8. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    As a newbie I don't have much to compare my pbass to, other than I try out any bass I come across.
    After trying out many basses at pawn shops and music stores when I was looking for a bass, this squire pbass felt the best and sounded the best. Granted I was trying mostly used equipment, however I was trying out basses like Ibanez, Carvin, and Epiphone.

And as of this weekend my pbass is even better! I redid the wiring as I found out it was wrong and I put flatwounds on it. Now just need to add a 1/4 pounder and the sound will be close to perfect :) I might convert it to a pbass deluxe...

I will have to say, Fender is tot he bass industry as Honda is to the car indutry. Lot of aftermarket and replacement parts.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I beg to differ. I find Fender, as well as almost ALL guitar builders are hit or miss, no matter which time period. There are instruments that have been unplayed for 40 years, sat under a bed. Maybe because the owner never learned, maybe becasue that instrument was a junker. They happened back then, but they happen more often now. Why? They make more. More production means more good ones, and conversely, more bad ones.
  10. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    That was in the 70's, but now everybody wants a 70's J :)

I would have no problem picking up a new Fender these days. I'd probably just get a Highway if my L-series and '57 P's got stolen.
  11. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    My two cents; quality control is not always the best, although you can still buy a good quality product from Fender. I believe that the main problem is that they are not keeping up with the times. For example, they are still not making any 35" scale models, and nothing above five strings with the exception of that bass that is played by the bassist for Alien Ant Farm, which nobody knows where to go to purchase one for themselves. If you want traditional, Fender is still good, if you want to go off the beaten path, you have to go someplace else.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its a custom shop, the AAF bass..
  13. Actually, I think that current model Fenders are very consistent from one to another. Alot of the wall models at music stores that I've tried have been one of two scenarios:

1) Set up right and they feel and sound just like a Fender

2) Need a setup and would feel and sound just like a Fender

I do all my own setups. My current P bass went from good to great when I did a proper setup on it. If you want the Fender Mojo - you gotta buy a Fender. If you don't - look to another brand. Pretty simple really.
  14. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I'm a full-time Fender lover. I like a meat and potatoes type of instrument.
  15. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    That, to me, is the funniest thing. People in the 70s thought those instruments were crap and ran to 60s basses or other makers, and now they go for way more than brand new ones that are just plain better built. IMHO, Fender builds them far better than they used to in the 70s and early 80s. The only thing that bothers me is the ugly body routing.
  16. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I know this is off topic, but I know authorized Ampeg repair techs and they all tell me that the way they're constructed and the components they use, Ampegs are becoming nothing more than glorified Crates. :eyebrow: Any thoughts?
  17. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What kinda bass do YOU PLAY :smug:
  18. jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    as was stated, i think as with other builders, trying out different fenders is hit or miss. i have a 2003 american series p-bass w/ s-1, that is hands down the best p-bass i have ever played. however it needed a lot of work to make it a great bass. i bought it because it was very resonant, had a tight neck pocket, and is light weight. to me, i enjoy searching for a great fender. i think their qc is far better than it ever has been. much more consistent. imho. jeff
  19. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've always thought Fender had nearly the worst quality control adn build consistency around. A good portion of their basses just don't stack in the quality for price deparment. Every now and then I paly one that blows me away, but the other 19 out of 20 are usually mediocre at best, at least for Mexi's.
  20. jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    5stringdna, i agree with you 100%. the thing with fenders is the really good ones have a mojo that other basses don't have imho. you could have a great mim, cij, amer ser, whatever. this p bass i have is nowhere near the quality of a lakland for example, but it plays great, sounds great and is light and resonant. you may find one in 20 to be a great fender. but the other 19 have a certain consistancy to their qc that was lacking for many years. imo. jeff