fender slaping.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Apr 15, 2001.

1. ok, i dont like slap at all on the fender jazz, i find it very difficult to do slap half as nice as i can on say the L-2500 from G&L, like, i can slap, and fairly well on the G&L, but i find the slapping on a fender is hard to do, and doesnt sound all that good, does anyone else have this problem?? or has anyone else found this?

this might be in the wrong forum, if so, sorry, my bad
  2. i guess you must get used to it.
    i don't know how marcus miller does it, after slaping on a stingray and a thumb bass the jazz doesn't feel right. i think the strings might be a little closer.

people like diferent things i guess, i have heard that you can't slap on a ric but i love slapping mine.
  3. i guess it does have a lot to do wih preference and what have you, but i was talkin to another couple guys, and they said they felt the same way
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I still haven't come across a bass that wasn't slappable;)... heck, I've slapped an Ashbory.

I have a Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe 5, it has the Sadowsky preamp sound and because of the wider spacing (than the G&L L2500) it's much easier to slap. I have a couple of passive 4 string Jazz basses and the combination of wide RH spacing and narrow LH spacing hasn't caused the slightest problem, it a very easy bass to get the Marcus Miller sound, among other things.

I have an old G&L L2000E which has a thicker, P style neck and it's still very easy to slap.

Soooo... what kind of problems are you running into slapping a Fender? Fenders are very similar to MusicMan and G&L basses though some people swear they aren't. Where are you slapping on the bass? Very important. Are you screwing around with your amps tone controls? Very easy to screw up the sound. How is the setup? Very important on any bass. Biggest possible issue...

What kind of slap sound are you after? I've found that the easiest way to get a Fender Jazz bass slap sound is with a Fender...you don't get that with a G&L and most other basses aren't even close. If that's not what you want, the Fender's probably the wrong bass for you...but you'd be amazed at the sounds some other people get with them.
  5. i find its the spacing on the fender neck that i dont dig, i have all three knobs on the bass turned to full, cause i find if i mess with them they buzz...and i cant remeber how my stuff on my amp is set...
  6. I find it easier slapping overall on my Jazz, but on My P it sounds good on only the low notes
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have to agree, I don´t like slapping on the Fenders I have tried. But I love playing it fingerstyle!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Geddy Lee Jazz has a sweet slap tone. But of course, what I like may not be what you like.

The spacing is perfect too, at least for me.:)
  9. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I love slapping (my) jazz bass and it sounds great to me. It doesn't have too hifi sound and it's not as many other and most of all, IT IS BIG!! I hate the sizzly "modern" basses that are somewhat punchy with their highs and decent lows, but just don't have the booty to really sound cool with a band or make the music flow. Miller has a nice slap tone, although it could be bigger. I've found a perfect match by putting two EMG's into my '78 ash jazz with a rosewood fingerboard. It's big, it has punch like you wouldn't believe and it still sounds good with what ever kind of music like a good jazz is supposed to.
  10. Yeah, that was pretty helpful :rolleyes: Anyhoo...

I don't do a whole lot of slap stuff, but it sounds quite good on my jazz. Big fat punchy lows and great snap. Maybe it has to do with the US vs Mexican thing or something. A buddy of mine complains that the pickguard interferes with his "popping" fingers and I've heard complaints about string spacing. I guess it's all personal preference, really. The L2500 does have a killer slap sound, though. I dig it! I agree with Brad on the AM DLX thing. Mike from Margarita's Calling (I mix sound for them) has an AM DLX 4 string and the slap sound from it is Killer. But you gotta go for what you dig of course.
  11. thanks a lot all, yeah so i geuss its a mixed preference thing eh?
  12. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I agree with brad there isn't a bass that I can't slap,well too.btw I have a mim j-bass that beg's me to slap her so I do.
  13. TitaniumAngel

Aug 30, 2000
    You think slapping a fender is hard? Try my (old) BC Rich warlock. It sucks to play slap on (hard, and has a very dark tone). The only good thing about slapping it is when I do play a stingray or similar bass (wide string spacing, ect), I sound awesome, and I can pull off some sweet chops pretty easily. Ill post a picture if anyone is interested (1980 NJ series, USA built).
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I slap on one of my Fender J's. It slaps the best out of all the ones I have.
  15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey bro you might be like me and cant slap a bass with high action! I find all fenders you cant set the action low enough for me! Thas what i like about my warwick you can use the adjust -a-nut to really get a great action setting! If i tried to do that on my 67 p bass it would sound horrible! Guys dont get me wrong i love old fenders but i just dont like to slap on them!
  16. Allright Eric, I'll agree that Fenders tend to have high action especially off the shelf, but it doesn't mean you can't get it low. Of course it takes a bit of effort, but it does for most basses. Nut filing and the like. This where the adjust-a-nut comes in handy, eh? Great idea! When I bought my jazz bass, i had a luthier (my best buddy!) check a few out, for fret level and dress as well as a few other things. Mine is set up with the neck almost dead flat and my action is lesss than 2mm at the 12th fret. I play quite hard and it doesn't buzz. Unfortunately a lot of people don't put the effort into setting up their instruments properly, and for some reason , a lot of guys with old Fenders are in this camp. BTW I've seen Pedullas, Laklands, Warwicks, Spectors etc with terrible setups because people didn't take care of them. That's a shame. I'd admit that old P-Basses probably aren't great for slap (for me at least) but they definately have their purposes!cheers
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    As with just about EVERY other topic...it depends on the individual.

So another opinion ... I prefer very high action and tension. I like to come down and up from underneath with my thumb. Lower action can cause the G to bounce up on the side of the neck if the note I'm holding is at the lower end. I also like the action high so I can really dig in with my middle finger. I wan't to minimize any buzz on the frets too. I also feel more comfortable -believe it or not- with a passive set up (which may be more psychological than anything). At any rate, you want your left hand to be comfortable too. You don't want to have to concentrate at all - it's so much feel, it has to be natural. Your rhythm can't be disturbed, you don't have time to adjust. You can't hold back. Whatever sound and feel makes you feel free should be what you go with - whether it's a $7,000 Fodera or a $300 Cort.
  18. i really like fender for finger style to here guys, dont get me worng, i also have fairly high action which pisses me offf, but its low as i can get it wihtout buzzing, with my limited knowledge!

unlike you goat, cause i'm geussin your bud is griffith! ha, that must be cool, havin someone that skilled to talk to bout that stuff....

anyways yeah thanks again to all, and i like to do that thing where you slap and then pull your thumb up back threw it too,,,whats that called?
  19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I spend hours on my set up! It takes me months to get my set up like i like it! Just for slap i cant get it on any fenders ive had! Ya all basses are set up badly when you play them in a store! Thats because the guys that work there couldnt get hired at mcdonalds! But i always take tools with me when i try a new bass out! What they dont know wont hurt thme! HeHE