Fender Slip up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by --Wang--, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I picked up a copy of the 2002 Frontline from my shop today, and it looks stunning. Turning to the bass section (naturally) I was kind of confused at the spec chart on p172.
    It lists the standard series basses as having alder bodies. I had heard that the standard series uses poplar. Is this another one of the changes to the standard series?
    Also, I had bought a new J bass in January. It has the vintage style black knobs and pickups that humbuck when both are turned up evenly. Would this mean I have an alder body?

Any help clarifying would be appreciated.
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    No. That has nothing to do with body wood.
  3. Yes, I realize that just because it has black knobs doesn't mean I have an alder body. I was trying to say that the specs of my bass match those posted in Frontline 2002 and I was wondering if they had printed the catalogue with the correct specs
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For USA made Fenders, I'm pretty sure that the following is true: sunbursts and opaque finish basses are alder. Transparent finish basses (sunbursts excepted) are ash.
  5. Frontline lists the series in question as "Standard." I'm thinking that this is the MIM series, as American made models are clearly listed as American Series.
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Here's a new one on me. The three color sunburst (the one with the red in the middle) is made with alder, while the vintage 2 color sunburst is made with ash. How interesting.