Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender speakers HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Oct 22, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a fender 4x10..the newer one..sealed cab

well two speakers are blown..i don't want it a 4x10 first off...

are theses speakers made for the sealed cab..or can they work in a ported box?

i want to either cut this cab and make 2 2x10's but i would like the smaller cab...so i thought i could do it in a ported cab and make the cab itself smaller....

help me out

thanks
    steve

2. Probably the only place you are going to get the specs for those speakers is from Fender. They are custom made my Eminence for them to their specs.

If you wanna try it just cut the box in half...but remember the impedance for the cab will change. Depending on how you wire it it will be either 4 Ohm or 16 Ohm with just two of the speakers.

Scott

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have to ask. How exactly did the 2 speakers blow? a 2x10 is easier to blow than a 4x10 so I'm concerned your new cut-down cab will suffer the same fate.

Also, we will need the T/S parameters of the speaker before we can help you. Those parameters will tell us a lot about the characteristics of the speaker. But the chances are that if they are in a sealed enclosure, they're probably designed to work best in a sealed enclosure.

4. A 410 will usually just blow 2 speakers as they are typically wired in series/parallel and once the first two blow there is no longer a connection to the other two.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i really don't know...how it happened my hartke vx cab can handle what thic couldn't weird....

i was hoping they were just stock emince speakers..

thanks
    steve

6. The Fender 4x10 cab is only rated for 300 Watts max. It will blow at much less than that depending on the amp and if the signal is clipping.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well i know it wasn't clipping...it was at practice level..no clipping lights were on...and its all tube so isn' the clip just distortion?

damn crappy speakers

steve