Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Special Edition Jazz Bass 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMac5, Jan 15, 2006.

1. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    What do you guys think for the price? I am tempted to get one and upgrade it. Mainly the Preamp (Duncan Designed BEQ3 3-Band Active EQ). Would it be possible to install maybe a Duncan STC3 Pre-amp? Maybe change the bridge. What do you guys think?

2. It looks pretty good to me, but I'm a sucker for the classic j-bass looks, so i'm not too hot about the Quilted Maple Top, but hey, if you like it then it seems like it will be a good quality bass to get your hands on for that price.

3. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    anybody else?

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I got one.....then sent it back. I could not get a good sound out of that sucker.

On the other hand, the bass was very well built and solid plus it had a good feel. I don't see why you would change the bridge. It comes with a pretty heavy duty bridge. It would be wasting your money IMHO.

5. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I'll try one tomorow. My biggest concern is the quality of the preamp. It's duncan designed BEQ-3 so I guess I coul put a Duncan STC3 on it.

6. I tried it yesterday.. it sucked.. the tone was anything but versatile.. no power.. preamp was really weak and the whole feel sucked.. two thumbs down for me..

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You will not have to upgrade the bridge It's more massive than a BAII and it allows you to string through body or top loaded.

It doesn't sound anything like a Jazz bass. The QPs have serious output and the bass is very powerful in the low mids. It also has some great highs.

8. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I pulled the trigger and bought one two weeks ago. I really liked the bass. I took it to have it proffesionaly setup and was told the truss rod was bent. :confused: :mad: :help: :bawl: :scowl: :rollno: :confused: :eek: :meh: :eyebrow:

Now I have to wait until a new one arrives. I was planning to upgrade the preamp to a Duncan STC3 and making the Mid-Scoop “Slap” Switch a passive/active switch. (since on the Duncan STC3 Pulling up on the volume knob engages the Slap Switch).

9. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i would have a aguilar or a bart in that. the original preamp is a duncan designed and putting an actual deymour duncan wouldn't do much.

10. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    I have played one. it dont sound bad! it didnt sound like my usa jazz! i have heard you can get a good one or not so good
    one . a guy here sent his back the qmt was all messed up bad build i guess . but some love them. I would play the one i was getting before i bought it!! :eyebrow:

11. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    They are built good and have nice stuff on them but they lack big time in midrange thus limiting the voice of the instrument. Yes I would say for a Jazz bass they sound like crap.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like mine, but I'm not big on the traditional Jazz Basses, I like the headstock better, the body shape better, the pick ups better, the Hipshots better, no pick guard, quilted top.
    I will admit it's not my main bass, but I like it fine. I don't see upgrading the bridge either.

13. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I don't plan on changing the bridge anymore. Just the preamp.

14. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Duncan Designe stuff is not up to par with the real thing in my opinion. All the Duncan designed pickups I have played sounded nothing like the real thing.