Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Special Highway 1 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaggy8900, May 2, 2005.

1. Shaggy8900

Shaggy8900

Dec 25, 2004
    Okay, I'm saving up for this bass, It costs roughly $700. But before buying it, I would like to hear back ground info on it. Has anyone played it and have anything to say about it, or maybe even other recomendations for the same amount of money

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Highway One is a good sounding, good playing bass imho. Check out reviews at www.bgra.net My only gripe is the finish, which is satin lacquer and tends to mark and dent really easy. Most people here seem to prefer the Geddy Lee bass or American Jazz (used in that price range). In the end, try all three and try other brands ( there are many other good basses out there that do not have Fender on the headstock).

Good luck.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Actually, $700 seems rather high. You should be able to buy a Hwy 1 for around $625 to $650 max. Might depend on where you live. If it's the only Fender dealer in your area they might hold you up for extra $$$. Having said that, Hwy 1s are decent Jazzes with a (IMO) a good neck profile.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I quite like my Hwy 1 Jazz. Excellent tone and as mentioned earlier an excellent neck profile. Worth the money IMO.

Dan

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Im not a fan of the highway 1 basses I would go for a used MIA if I where you

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I got my H1 P-Bass for less than $600 at Guitar Center. You can probably get that Jazz for $650ish. (As mentioned above.)

The H1 series are a good deal, in my eyes, though you might want to compare them to the American Standard series, and see if YOU think they are worth the extra money. It's only worth it if you think it is. ;)

Have you also checked out the Marcus Miller sig bass? That's as much of a bass as the H1, if not more, and it's right in your price range.

7. teachbass

teachbass

Dec 13, 2004
    Make sure you check the neck very carefully.
    I just had to send mine back because of a "twist" in the neck.
    1 year old. E string side was straight and true and the g string side was bowed very deeply.

This can happen on any bass. Just the first time for me.

I love the finish though. The harmonics really speak and the sustain is quite good. Very much like a old Nitro lacquer bass.

cheers!

8. The last time I went out bass shopping I tried one of these and thought they were pretty good. I didnt really have any gripe with the finish as some have. It's a good solid bass that plays well and sounds great.

9. A Highway 1 is an american jazz with a flat finish, instead of glossy finish. With that one exception, they're the same bass. I love the way the light natural finish looks especially with a red perloid guard. The sunburst, on the other hand, looks plain, but man, those are really fine basses.

10. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    There are other differences. The American Series has graphite reinforcement bars in the neck, through body stringing option, different hardware, and I believe different (albeit similar sounding) pickups. They really aren't the same, but you should check Fender's site for the details. Or, better yet, play both and see which you prefer. I thought about the Hwy 1, which is nice, but opted for the American Series.

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Actually, I think the Highway 1 is more like a Classic Series 60's Jazz Bass but with a satin finish and assembled in America.

12. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I have a Hway 1 jazz with a j retro preamp and some custom shop 60's pickups installed and I love it!! I like it better than the 75 jazz that I owned!