Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender, Spector or Yamaha

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Mar 1, 2001.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been playing bass for around two and a half years, and I've decided to buy my first 5-stringer. My budget is kind of low, but I'll appreciate your opinions about which of these 3 basses is the best one to become my first 5-string bass:

1. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V ($530)
    2. Spector NS2000/Q5 ($530)
    3. Yamaha BBG5S ($490)

I know I should try'em all before I buy, but no store around here sells these specific models I'm looking for. I've played cheaper models of Fender and Yamaha. One store sells Spector's highest-priced models (which i can't afford), I can try the Spectors but it wouldn't be the same as trying the model I want.

Please tell me in your opinion which one is the best bass.

P.D. I play almost any style of music. (rock, pop, ska, reggae, etc.)

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've played both the Fender and the Yamaha and they both IMHO have a terrible B string. I've only heard good things about Spector, something I definately can't say about Fender or Yamaha. I would say go for the Spector, may even go for the neck-through (NS2000/5) if your budget would so allow.

3. Dmaki's right. The only option in that list is Spector.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <font size=7 coloR=red><B><U>SPECTOR!!!!!</B></U></FONT>:)

5. Gee Nino, tell us how you really feel:D:D. I'd agree, the Q series Spectors are quite good for the money. I love Jazz basses (I play a MIA jazz) but they need to work on their 5 strings...big time. I've never seen anything but quality from Spector no matter what the price range. I've got a real hankerin' for the red NS-4 CR in my buddy's shop. Cost +10% is a pretty damn good deal too.........

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What kind of sound do you seek?

7. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    STINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAYSTINGRAY :D

8. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    Brad's right, that's like saying I don't know what bass to buy can you guys choose one for me. Play bass guitars at your local store and find you that suites you cause we all have different thoughts.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Brad's got a very good point there. Both Fender and Spector have 2 totally different sounds. Ive played both bass's and chose the Fender. The tone on the ns2000 was alot weaker than that of the fender. (thats my opinion) and you may not think the same, i warn you that ive noticed on 3 different deluxe active jazz 5 strings, the same exact defect on the head stock ( a small crack in the wood starting at the low b strings machine head) but they are covered under warranty for one year. the b string on the fenders is also loose but a lil finesse and lighter touch on it compensates that problem. All in all i would still choose the fender because in my opinion it has a much better sound and is more versatile than the ns series spectors. Play both of them as often as you can then decide, which sounds best, and feels best for you. Happy Hunting!

10. madforry

madforry

Dec 23, 2000
    I play a bone stock MIM Fender Jazz bass V. Lemme tell ya, when I first got it I hated it. I bought this one because is was A) cheap and B) tone tone tone - I still crack up every time I pick it up and play it. It sounds too damn good.

I had delusions of the Adam Sandler Saturday Night Live "Sloppy Joe" skit, although it was "Floppy B, floppy floppy B." Ok that doesn't exactly sound right, but that was what was going through my head ;-)

Took me about a month to get the truss rod right, switched strings to some Ken Smith taper core, and now I wouldn't trade it for anything. Now my B is godly. Yeepa!

You just can't beat the Fender sound. Although I must admit there isn't much growl on the B.

If you have patience, the setup will come..

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I've played all three in the music stores. The Czech-made Spector was better than the Fender or Yamaha. You are looking at the Korean Spector most likely. Still, the Korean model comes with EMGs. I'd probably select the Spector based on the pickups. When I think of 5-strings, I don't think of Fender. with the exception of Roscoe Beck's bass.

12. I have a Yamaha BBG5 and I like it..

It could have a better sounding B but I like it (but, then of course, I haven´t tried out any Spector basses...)

all I can say is that I like my yamaha... but judging from the other replies, you´d probably go with spector...

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Czech Spectors have active EMGs, the Korean ones have those EMG HZ pickups.

MIM Fender pickups sound better than those, no contest. Has better tone than the Yamaha too.

The Korean Spector and the Yamaha have a better B string.

14. I have got my eye on a second hand Yamaha BBG5S as a possible high five. The one in question has a tighter B than the one MIM Fender I have seen. I thought it was pretty good for the price.

But then, I think washburn are pretty good for the price, so what would I know?

:D

15. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I just bought a Fender Hot Rod P bass for $679 and it sounds great, I did a 3 hour A/B test putting it up against 3 different Stingrays, one Sterling and a Modulus fretless. The Ernie Ball's just didn't match up in sound or feel.
    In fact two of the Stingrays had dead spots that require more than a truss rod tweek. The Modulus was sweet but I would feel bad after I wrecked it.

16. The Hot Rod P is a mighty fine bass, but is out of the question, they dont come in a 5

17. All of them need work to get them up to scratch, but the Spector will need less work than the others. Fenders are plagued by a crappy B string, regardless of brand. I tried them all, to no avail. The Yamaha can be improved a little. I would also go with Spector. It can be upgraded with USA pups and preamp later on, if you desire.

18. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    From that list, the Spector. (I'm a Fender lover, but I don't really the MIM models very much.)

19. Absolutely no question, get the SPECTOR!!!
    The B's on the others are weak in every way.