1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender/Squier Heel Widths

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Mar 11, 2013.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Generally speaking, do Jazzys and Precisions basses tend to have similar heel width/depths? That is to say, are interchangeable without too much more than maybe a shim?

I ask, because I've got a Squier CV50 and I'd like to slap a JBass neck on there... maybe the Squier VM or the '77. :bassist:

2. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Should work.

3. Habilis

Habilis

Jan 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    This may or may not relate to a question I have had--I'm really liking the new 32" scale Squier telecaster basses, but I'm wondering how difficult (or even possible) it would be to swap in a Squier 34" Precision neck if I end up not liking the scale length. Anyone know off-hand the compatibility between different Squier models?

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'd imagine that even if the two were physically compatible, you'd find yourself having intonation/tuning issues because of the different scale lengths - the frets wouldn't be in the right places.

5. That all depends on where the bridge is located compared to the neck pocket right now. But, you're probably right. The intonation would be screwy & not a proper 34" scale with the bridge in its current spot. It's much more likely that fender would move the bridge up and keep the neck at 20 frets than to cut frets off & leave the bridge in the traditional position.

If he were to swap the neck, it would be best to measure the proper distance to where the bridge SHOULD be, and move the bridge accordingly.

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    So is there anyone who can give a definitive answer on this topic? Certainly SOMEONE must have tried measuring and/or swapping necks like these.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I would not worry about this because I don't think you are really going to notice the scale length difference.

I don't know the answer but there are so many Franken-basses for sale in the classifieds section that I bet you can find the answer just by looking through ads. If you find one that has a swap similar to what you want to do try PMing the seller and you will probably get some comments on how easy or difficult it was. That said, I do believe the first answer you got above is correct.

Ken

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Agreed.

To be more specific, I'm mounting a Jazz neck from a Squier Active Jazz IV to a Warmoth Precision body. So far it seems to fit very well. The two screw holes towards the headstock got a little widened, whereas the heel-side holes were a dead-on match. I doubt I'll need a shim, but I'll know more when my local guitar tech oversees the final assembly. I definitely don't need to sand the heel down.

I hope that helps you with your project.