Fender Squier Strat....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sk8er_boi3, Oct 5, 2002.

1. sk8er_boi3

Oct 5, 2002
    What do you think of them? not Basses, Guitars! some people like them and some people don't..what do you think..like for a beginner?
  2. I just want to mark this to see how it turns out.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Dinner is served!

hint: you may want to try posting this in the correct forum :)
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Ok Skateboy

You have made a very simple error in posting this in the DB section which is full of grumpy old men (like me but I'm a BGer). The best thing you can do (or Chris F if you are reading transfer it to BG misc) is to run like the wind after deleting your post and reposting in Bass Guitar Misc.

There's no real danger here unless you try to respond to witty comments without the vocabluary to survive an extremely sacarstic and witty barrage.

ok on topic The Affinity Squier Strat is an entry level plywood guitar with squealy pickups and tuners that dont. For the money its excellent as a beginner guitar just dont try to gig with it. The Standard series is a bit better and a bit more expensive. If you want a guitar that will last you a bit go for Mim (Mexican) Fender and try second hand. Some shops will try to shift trade ins quickly. My local shop gives one month warranty on sh stuff as well as low prices. Look around.

CS tips for guitar happiness. There are some odd Squier guitars that are very good value. Look for the Silver Series the Pro Tone Series and the JV Series. These are all marked either on the headstock or the neck plate. The JV series was a loss leader Fender invented to combat Tokai.

Good luck
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    SQU13R L4D,

As CARPATHIAN SUMPPUMP so eloquently explained, you have posted your query in the Double Bass forum, which is the lair of a bunch of crusty old guys who wouldn't know a Stratocaster from a Mark Hoppus signature model tenor banjo. I suspect you'll have better luck with your question in BG miscellaneous.

L8T3R DUD3
  6. IME, luck plays a factor with Squier...

My Squier P-Bass Special served me very well as a starter bass for almost four years before I finally broke down and bought a "real" bass. It still works fine, I just haven't played it in ages because the Carvin is so much better.

On the other hand, I've had my Squier Strat for maybe a year longer than the PJ (5 yrs-ish?) and though it sounds okay when it's working right, it's turning to crap. I haven't even come close to "wearing it out" seeing how I prefer bass, but I now have scratchy pots and the output completely cuts out rather often. I think it's probably a simple fix, but I don't feel like putting any money into this guitar and I haven't had the time to really open it up myself.

I've never played an Affinity, or any newer Squiers than my own actually, so I'm not gonna comment on them or make any buying recommendations since my knowledge of the brand is now outdated. However, you've heard my experiences with them, judge accordingly. I think CS may have the right idea on this one.
  7. I'd stay far away from the Squiers. I used to have one. Key words being used to. I now have a MIM Telecaster. Much much better than the Squiers.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    yOu OlD KRuStY DuDz nEEd tO GEt oN dA bALl tHeN aNd LuRn THeZe tHiNgZ ;)