Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender / Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I was thinking earlier, I have a Squier P-Bass. And I was wondering, is there a differnece between a Squier Body and a Fender Body? because I want to make this fretless, should i pull a Jaco? or get it professionally done, or just order a new neck?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I do know that not all Fender and Squier parts are interchangeable. I do not have the detailed knowledge of which parts are, and which parts are not.

*I* would just "Jaco" the neck if you really want a fretless Squier. You could probably almost buy another new Squier bass for the price of a decent after market neck, if you want to go back to fretted...

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Yea they are veryvery different

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Agreed! Every look into the caveties of some squires? Particle board, at best... really crappy, but it comes with the price.

Ray

5. :cool: Gee, the last time I had the neck off of a Squier Affinity P-Bass, it was solid wood in the neck pocket. No plywood, no particle board. I realize that the body was probably three pieces at least, possibly four. But, no particle board, no plywood. In fact, I personally have never seen one made like that. Maybe they did at some point in time, but I don't think so recently. Like maybe 5, 10 years.

6. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I do know that the Squier bodys have gone through a lot of changes. I have an older model and the body is solid wood and VERY heavy, atleast compared to the newer bodies. I'm not sure when the change happened or what exactly changed, but the body has changed a lot.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, my friend has a squire strat and a squire jazz, and both have the particle board body. I dunno how old they are or anything though. I can at least get pics of the start if anyone feels the need for proof...

Ray

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Current Squiers are made with Alder bodies according to the Squier site. That change occured in 2000/1 if my memory serves me right. I think that because the Squiers are produced overseas, and that contract changes on occassion, the body woods vary based on year of manufacture and by the plant in which they are made. The have improved quite a bit these last few years but they still aren't the original Japanese made Squiers.

Dan

9. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    I have a squier jazz, which was defretted by the previous owner doing a 'Jaco' project, and it's an awesome bass. I recently got a fender jaco tribute bass, and the squier isn't as far behind it as you'd think! Think I just got incredibly lucky, mind!

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a few real nice basses and have been around as long as dirt.
    I walked into my local store and played every bass on the wall,,, PV's, MIA Fenders, New Ibanez's you name it. I picked up this bran new Affinity Jazz bass in ugly cobalt or metallic blue and the thing just sung unplugged, It was by far the best bass in the store. It played and felt unbelievablely awesome. I couldn't put it down.
    For 179.99 and they through in a Fender gigbag how could I pass it up. I gigged with it on Saturday and it played and sounded killer. In-Fact I never put it down the whole night.
    I traded for some MIA J pups and through them in Sat afternoon,,The tone is KILLER,
    Now I had all these Allparts gold Jazz parts laying around, I started pimping it out last night. It's going to bea cool looking bass when I'm done. Oh and the Body is Alder and it's an 05 model.
    This bass is actually made pretty well!!
    Awesome bang for the buck!

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Here's my Affinity trash bag ho before and after a few upgrades/Mods, I'm telling ya this bass Rocks...
    Trash Bag-Ho

12. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Nice work! It looks great - I especially like the positioning of the thumb rest, parallel to the strings....I'm thinking of doing the same.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thank you Jimmy, It was a cool bass when I bought it but now it's Hot!
    I can't wait for the gold tunning key's to come in.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I really like the white pup covers on that bass :cool:

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Congratulations on living by my new motto. Way too many people make judgements (my old self included) on the brand name, cost, number of lights and knobs, etc.

If a bass plays well and sounds good to you, then use it. I am now playing a $350 bass with $300 worth of "Bartolini in it and now I have a great sounding, playing and looking bass for $650. I like it better than my $2,500 Modulus Q5 sued to have.

Same for my rig. $180 SABDDI, a QSC PLX amp and a Bergantino HT112. The Bergie was a little spendy ($540 shipped) but basically, a low budget rig..and it sounds great.

I would bet that for the gigs most of us do, no one knows or cares if we are playing a $350 bass or a $6,000 custom bass.