Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Squire 4-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgirl, Aug 22, 2000.

1. bassgirl

bassgirl

Aug 17, 2000
    Hi.

I have just started learning to play the bass, and a local store has a new Fender Squire 4-string on sale for $200. Would this be a good bass for a beginner? Is it a quality instrument? A good price?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

2. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Depends..only one i can give feedback on is the Standard P-bass Special...if that's the bass you're looking for, then go for it! Great instrument for a beginner. Nice price. Cool colors, too.

3. JoshuaSS

JoshuaSS

Aug 17, 2000
    If you look around you should be able to find it for around $140. Check out http://www.music123.com. As for being a good bass for a beginner - it's great because everybody's played one and they're easy to unload when you want to upgrade. As for quality, well they're not made in the US at that price, so the craftsmanship is sometimes not as good as an american made fender, but they're not bad either.

j

4. omarbass

omarbass

Aug 14, 2000
    i think that this is a great bass to start off with, though you should look into finding it for a little cheaper. Just one thing i could tell you though, do take care of it, specially the input, since its more than likely made in either korea or japan the craftsmanship is not as good as american made ones, but they will last if you learn to take care of it. :) its just like a little baby. :)

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    bassgirl, don't be put off by where a bass is made. Believe it or not there are actually quality products manufactured outside of US borders. :D

Go look at one up close and in person, play it, even if you don't know what you're doing. Bring another bass player with you if at all possible, if not then maybe bring a ...gulp... guitar player. Try a bunch of others as well, play some more expensive ones so you have some comparison. This is going to be fun for you, take some time and choose carefully.

FLASH!....Biski endorses Squier!...story at 11. :D :D :D

Mike

6. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    ::grins:: You and GM are never gonna let me go on that, are you? What can i say, i like the evil standard p-bass speshul...

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    The Squier P-bass Special is an excellent bass for the money. I would recommend it to anyone starting out, or as a backup bass.

8. SavageBass16

SavageBass16

Aug 23, 2000
    It is a great Bass for Begginers and definatly worth the money. It was my first Bass

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Go for it. Musicians Friend offers it (Squire P-Bass) for only 129.99 good bass, lots of bang for you buck for a beginner, and they are pretty warm feeling.

10. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i have a squier 4 string that works great, id recomend it to anyone

11. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hey, that was my first bass. Very dependable and sturdy, bang it alot and still straight. If you ready to spent that much money, you can get a used mexican fender jazzbass or p-bass. Don't get the squire, get the fender !! :)
    They have a good reselling price and good quality too

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Like J3b3r said get the Fender MIM or MIA [more expensive] it will have a better resale value also you should get more respect sort of thing when you walk into a bass shop to see if they can work on your bass. You should've saw the look the guy gave me when i told him that i had a Jazz in the case. It was like "You little teenager has Jazz?" it was cool. from that point on the people/techs in there treated me better. Well either one you will get a nice bass.

13. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    You should have no problem finding one around 125-150 with a gig bag.Like any other bass,id buy locally as some are better than others.If you take your time and search around you can find a gem.Buying on the net/mail order is risky in that you dont get to pick/inspect the bass out yourself.About the only place id risk it is Bass Northwest.Theyre decent basses but id recommend getting the MIM if you can aford it.Resale value on Squires is actually higher than any of the other Fender lines.Its a fine beginner bass.Good luck!

14. I've only recently acquired a Squier. I think that they're well-made and sturdy -- excellent for any bassist actually. I got mine used for $150 (Candian funds here so I belive that would be about 25 cents in America) and I can't say that I've had any problems with it. They're excellent and if you're really lucky you can find them for a great price.

15. I have a Fender Standard. The price for it was $300. I am also a beginner and this is my first bass. My friend has a squier that he got for $200. I like my Standard better. It all depends if you can spend that $100 extra. You should play both and hook them up to an amp and then see which one you like better. You have to like the bass and be comfortable with it.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LOL! I've heard bad things about that Canadian currency exchange rate, but that sound more like pesos than $Canadian!

:D

17. It's near impossible to keep track of where our dollar is going, so I tend to exaggerate (I used to get Musician's Friend catalogs and say "Wow these prices are incredible!" before I realized I had to factor in exchange rates)... I can't even get 5' of monster cable for less than $15!