Fender Squire 5 string replacement pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mxr255, Mar 3, 2005.

1. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have a friend who has a Fender Squire 5 string and wants to know what kind of pick ups he could put in it to get a deep sound.

Any suggestiongs? I would this is just Jazz style pick ups. I do not know what to suggest but I told him I would ask some experts.

Thanks guys

2. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    hey, i own a squier 5 string bass that ive been looking into putting new pickups in. make sure ur friend measures the size of each pickup, if theyre both the same size (like on mine) hes gonna have a hard time finding replacements. I know on my squier both pickups are the same size as the neck pickup for a 4 string bass. the only pickup that matches this size that u can use for a 5 is made by EMG. then the problem is the bridge pickup that goes along with it is longer. I dont see why u couldnt use 2 neck pickups is they fit and work on a 5 sting, but that seems to be my only option. damn squiers lol
  3. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    thanks for the advice.....any other thoguhts??
  4. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000

His J-style pickups are very nice and reasonably priced as well. Give him a call and tell him the dimensions of your pickups. He can get you a matched set that should drop right in, and will undoubtedly be a great improvement over your stock pickups. The only downside is the waiting period.
  5. d.bond

Feb 11, 2005
    Kewanee, IL
    if you didn't mind doing a little modifying, all you'd have to do is do about a millimeter of sanding on each side side of the PUP cavity. i fitted my squire with barts, all i had to do was a tiny bit of sanding on the left and right sides of the PUP cavity. it's totally up to you whether or not you'd want to do that to your bass.