Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender squire affinity bass vs yamaha rbx 170

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supercharged, Nov 19, 2003.

1. which of these two is better for a teenage girl!!!!
    i dont mind to much about tone as a complete beginer but this is my first ever bass and i want to no which is best over all, what shud i get????????????????
    please help me!

Yamaha RBX170 - Black£145.00RRP £169.00You Save £24.00!RBX170 Electric bass guitar in Black finish.

· Agathis body · Bolt-on maple neck · Rosewood Fingerboard · 24 Frets · Two single coil pickups · Master volume, master tone, pickup balance controls · Chrome vintage style bridge with four individual saddles

The solid agathis body shares the range’s sleek, wide-cutaway contours, allowing the player easy access right to the top of the 24-fret, full-scale neck which carries a genuine rosewood fingerboard.For pickups, the RBX170 features two punchy, clear-voiced single-coil pickups, with the volume and tone controls augmented by a pickup balance control for added sonic versatility and expression.
    or....
    Fender Squier Affinity P Bass - Black£145.00RRP £159.99You Save £14.99!Squier Affinity Precision Bass in Black finish.

The Fender Squier P-Bass guitars represent unrivaled value for money· Alder body · Maple C shape neck · Rosewood fret board · 20 Frets · 1 Split coil pick-up · 2 Volume and 1 tone controls

2. p.s im gettin it in about an hour so ne help u give is really welcomed thanx !!!

3. T4b

T4b

Oct 9, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have a Yamaha RBX 270 myself and it's pretty decent. My first ever bass, like yourself.

From what I have read, I think Yamahas have more consistent quality than Squiers. The Yamaha would also be smaller and lighter, if that's a factor. It should also have a bit more versatility as well with 2 pickups.

However, you should try both if you get the chance, see which you like the sound of, which one is the easiest to play a few notes on.

4. Get the Yamaha. I got the RBX370, and it's great for a first bass. So go Yamaha route.:)

5. My first bass was a Fender Mustang and I really liked it back then.

Then my father gave me his1966 Fender Jazz and I still use that bass to this very day.

Let us know what you decide!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Mr. Goody Good recommends the Yamaha, irrespective of whether you're a teenage girl or member in good standing of AARP.

A Squier AFFINITY is cheaper than a regular Squier -- a Squier within a Squier, if you will.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Exactly!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would definitely say the yamaha.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yamaha hands down. Way better than any Squier.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Treena, my forst bass was a 1966 Fender Mustang. It had the crap beat out of it, but it was my first bass-bought it used in 1980 for $150.00

I fixed it up a bit, than traded it a year later for my first Precision bass. The Mustang was a nice little bass though-wish I still had it!

Take care :)
    Tim