1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender (Squire) Jazz Bass - Tunners HELP!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Petriw, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Petriw

Petriw

Mar 26, 2006
    We are having a heck of a time replacing the tuners on my kids bass. Can't seem to locate replacements that have the same dimensions as the ones that are on the bass. This is a Made in Korea bass, likely a pretty early one because the Fender logo is regular size and the squire logo is miniscule.

One tuner keeps slipping jumping. Would like to replace them all. They say licensed by Schaller on them. No numbers. Went to Stew Macs website but the dimensions don't match on any of the ones they sell. Anyone got an idea? Are these an oddball size?

Thanks for you help!!!

2. I can't say I can help without seeing the problem. I don't have any practical experience with tuners on a Fender. Someone will be along who can probably hep you out. My suggestion would be to take it to a luthier or repair person and get their input on it.

So what is the difference in the dimensions?

EDIT: Did you go to Schallers website?

3. Well. Apparently their website stinks! It has no dimensions listed.

It may be best to measure the important pieces like the with of the hole in the peg head and the depth. You may not get an exact match to the tuners in there now but if they are the same style of tuner and install correctly you shouldn't have an issue.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know Fender that well. They may have stopped making that size at some point. There are people here you know this sort of thing very well.

Good luck!

4. check bass parts resource.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Keep looking for perfect matching replacements, but if you fail, just get some Gotoh's. Your worst case scenarios will be a little drilling or a little wood filler, but either way, you can get this done.

Better to have a bass that doesn't look cosmetically perfect than to have one with tuners that rot. Nasty tuners make for a bad day.

6. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    I'm having a similar issue here, the shafts on the tuners on my Squier Jazz Bass (it's a MIJ from the early 90s) are about 7.5/16" and I can't seem to find replacements. I would like to put some quality tuners in, because this bass is surprisingly exceptional - my main instrument.