Fender squire p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lozenger, Oct 2, 2003.

1. 1

3 vote(s)
  2. 2

3 vote(s)
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
  5. 5

4 vote(s)
  6. 6

3 vote(s)
  7. 7

3 vote(s)
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
  9. 9

1 vote(s)
  10. 10

2 vote(s)
  1. Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    what do you think of the fender squire p-bass. i have looked around a bit and it seems to be pretty good for a first bass. what do you guys think about it from experience? how much did you pay?
    cheers guys

Lozzy xXx :bassist:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Great for a beginner bass. A serious player will definitely want to upgrade in the future though. I think they can be had for aroung $200 ish??
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Excellent beginner bass, particulary if you get the p-bass special which is made in Indonesia. Like other Fenders they can be easily modified.
  5. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    That's one of my gigging basses. It's got a Fender '62 RI P pickup in it and stock jazz(hardly use it). Very nice thumper. Paid $200 for the bass, $60 for the pickup, and $25 for the ashtrays

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    A newbee dropped-off his squire p bass to have that plastic piece by the headstock replaced. I wasted no time in plugging this fiddle into a Peavey digital tube preamp to see what it sounded like and was very pleased with it's rich tone and playability. Then I looked at the back plate and this particular instrumente was made in Japan. Replacing the nut was a breeze. I think it would be hard to find a better bass for what the owner paid for it and subjectively speaking, it sounds way better than my Ibanez 406 and some other fender copies that I've played in the past.

Would I own one? Maybe.
    Do I need one? Heck no.
  7. i tried my friend's squier p-bass. the action was set so high it was almost unplayable, so that might have contributed to my low review of this bass, but i also didnt really like the feel of the neck. I also didnt like any of the squiers i've played at the local gc. I guess some people like them, but i think they feel and sound cheap. However, my eseex felt and sounded cheap to me when i first got it, but after i changed the pickup and strings, it sounded a lot better...still felt kinda cheap though..eh, maybe my imagination:confused:
  8. Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    this is xactly wot i want, ty 4 da comments, gd and bad guys, keep postin :bassist:
  9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    If you were to ask me how I'd rate it with a similarly price bass like an Essex, having tried alot of Squiers and having owned an Essex SJB-62(Quilted top) and playing some of them in stores, I'd give it a 5. Don't get me wrong, Squiers are decent beginner basses but I feel that for the same price you'd be getting a far better bass if you decide to go with an Essex. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Essex slightly cheaper than Squiers. They're quality is unbelievable for a bass priced that low.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Heres mine..........

2000 MIC, has a Badass 2 and a 62 RI pickup.
  11. The nice thing aout spending $200 on a sqiure P bass is you can modify the pickups and Pot without having to worry about drilling holes into a vintage P bass.

My friend and bassist for Whitney Houstons Body Guard album"Polo Jones" uses squires for this very reason. He has 6 of them hotrodded out and they sound and feel awesome!

Paul "Polo" Jones

Polo has played with Zucchero, Eric Clapton, Whitney Houston, Clarence Clemmons, Paul Young, Arsenio Hall Show, Saturday Night Live, Doobie Brothers, Eric Clapton, Paul Young, Bruce Springsteen, Randy Crawford, Jermain Jackson, Bill Whithers, Sting, Pavarotti, David Garibaldi, Ray Charles, Nerada Michael Walden, John Lee Hooker, Clerence Clemmons, Larry Graham, Duran Duran, Pia Zadora, Adrianne Legg, David Sancious, Miles Davis & Tower of Power Horns.
    During Polo's last European tour with Zucchero, he replaced his 410XLT's with 2 El Whappos cabinets.

"I've never played through anything like these before. After using everything out there, I can easily say that these are the BEST boxes you can get...period!

Paul "Polo" Jones

;) Treena
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would take a used MIM P-bass over a Squier anytime. Out of the four Squier P's I've played, I've never liked the feel of one of them. On the other hand, I've never liked the feel of a new MIM P either, only the used one I bought for the very same $200 that new Squiers do. And mine came with EMG's and a case! :)
  13. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I'm very pleased with my Squire P. I used it as my main bass for a year before I found the right bass for myself. When I first got her the action was too high so I shimmed the neck, set the intonation and put a set of GHS bright flats and I am very happy my $169 bass. On the down side the plastic nut broke and I replaced it with bone and if I wanted to upgrade it I'd change the pickup. I'll stll use it as my backup for gigs until my Allen Woody comes in.

I gave it 8 on the poll because of the playability to price ratio.

I hope this helps,