Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Squire P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheBender1337, Jan 3, 2006.

1. TheBender1337

TheBender1337

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston
    Hello Everybody im new to this site but i am hoping people could help me out on a dicision of mine.

In compensation of my decision not to buy a new bass i decided i will fix up my current bass (the Fender P-bass) since i hope to be playing a lil more than by myself. it will make the bass oh so more special to me.

I like to do things on my own and very capable of sodering and such so no worries there.
    I have been looking at pickups (EMG) and will test out active vs passive, but here is the big question for you all.

if i go for active i will need a place for the battery, would carving out a section of the body under the pickguard have any effect on my bass?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I routed a 3/4"x 4" x 7" swath beneath the strings on mine and couldn't tell the difference in tone on any of them. But they weighed over a pound less.

Regardless, I know Fenders don't have much room but I would make sure a battery won't fit in the control bay first. Also, seems like somebody posted recently about "a neat electronic gadget" or something to the affect that was an outboard wiring scheme for the battery. Search may turn it up.

Seems like Fenders had a bunch of vacant room under the pickgaurd (where you could just strap a battery down and run wires) and it was the pickgaurd that held the pups in place but maybe not.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm gonna be following this thread. I want to do the same thing.
    Also, refer to it as a Squier. We won't hurt you. What i've found is that there are very subtle differences between the Fender P-Bass and the Squier P-bass. I replaced my pickguard on my squier and I had to drill some new holes.

So, lets keep this thread goin'!

-Mark