Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Stainless Bass Flatwound Strings 9050s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Sep 29, 2004.

1. I have a 1993 Fender American Jazz bass, and I would like to try different strings. I've been using roundwounds but many people has told me that this strings hurt the frets.

Are flatwounds good strings? Will I be able to play many techniques, including slap?

[​IMG]

2. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    flats are good for just about everything BUT hard rock, heavy metal and slap...

The only person I know offhand who slaps with flats would be Me'shell Ndegeocello...

It can be done, and I think the person who first started slapping may have used them, but they just are not bright enough, and it really end up sounding like rockabilly upright bass slap, a la slim jim Phantom.

You might want to try nickel roundwounds if fret damage is your worry.

Personally I think roundwounds won't really hurt your bass unless you play 8 hours a day for 20 years.

3. Flats are like a treble cut - they have huge warmth and thump, and less high end and brightness than rounds. This could be what you're looking for, but rounds have become the norm and flats are more of a specialty and/or fretless string nowadays. Try them before you buy them. However, they do have a great feel that's easy on frets and fingers, and you can essentially use them much longer than rounds.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Don't know the styles of music you play (Sabbath?) but flats with a pick can get pretty dang aggressive. Maybe not typical tone for metal, hard rock etc, but they can work. I think a Jazz with flats is one of the greatest tones around for rock, blues, country, reggae, jazz, many others. JPJ rocked out pretty well with his Jazz and Roto 77 flats. My jazz is strung with 9050ML's and with the volume cranked through 10's they put out a brutally tight, funky, punchy sound. And I don't use a pick. I play older school stuff tho and don't use pick. While YMMV you may still want to try them. To me a Jazz with rounds doesn't deliver the bottom. Precision with rounds..thats another thing. My Precision keeps a set of old rounds on it. If you do put 9050's on your jazz, you might want the medium light set (ML) which is kinder to your neck.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The ones he is showing are the medium lights.

light = .045 to .095
    medium light = .050 to .100
    medium = .055 to .105

6. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I put Fender flats on my P-Bass the other day, and I'm in love, Its got all the Thumpy warm tone I could ever ask for, and none of that clanky metallic sound rounds have.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's what I love about flats! What guage did you get?

9. Fender really should do flats in a 5 string set. I've a USA Deluxe 5er Jazz and I want to try some flats. (Please note: opinion on here is that Fender flats are stiff / tight - like my comment on the Roto's, below).

There's plenty of options though for 4 and 5 string players:-

D'addario Chromes (6 string sets also).

Thomastik Jazz Flats (6 string sets also).

Rotosound 77s (apparently these strings are very stiff / tight).

Elites.

SIT.

I've used Thomastik Jazz rounds and flats before (not on the Jazz, though) and they're ABSOLUTELY SUPERB. I may shoot for the D'addario flats this time to replace the Fender strings.

John

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have 9050's on my Jazz bass.
    I've tryed all three sets, for me the light set-40-95.
    worked best.

11. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Could you compare the 3 sets in term of tension/tone?

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Fender flats have a lot of fundamental and correspondingly lower 'extra' harmonic content. Not much rining there. They tend to be a little stiff feeling. IMO, they record very well when you are looking for a thumpy, woody, warm tone. One of the best for pick and muiting technique, one of the worst for slap. Really no flat is good at slap...

TI Jazz Flats are softer and have a lot of extra harmonic content. A really nice jazz, blues string. They record well, but lack the punch for the Fender string. In a small ensemble setting the TI JF's are killer. Very rich. In a setting where there is a lot going on in the low end, large kick and floor toms, keyboard bass lines, 'verb/chorus/flange, etc ... then the Fenders are easier to dial in.

I use both... the basses I pickup to noodle with are strung with TI's though. G&L SB2 with JF's and Jazz with Super Alloy's. The TI's are a lot more pleasant to listen to when you're playing solo.

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    These are my flats of choice.

Old school, motownish, even upright sounding at times.

I use the ML set.

The balance between tone and tension really knocks me out. I've been the TI route and had a brief stint w/ the Labella Jamerson set. The Labellas were alright, but the guage was ridiculous. The TI's are useless for my purposes- the tensoin is so low that the strings don't even speak properly, especially on uptempo stuff.

14. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I just put these Fenders on an my old Aria Pro II. They were on a fretless for a while. I can't believe how good they sound on this bass. It gets a nice grind without the string noise and it gets a nice warmth with the tone turned down. This bass has always seemed "hot" and the output is very bright and lively. The flats are more versatile than I imagined. I played a few of our more rocking numbers and the flats with the tubes gets a great sound. They are very stiff and they don't flop around at all.

15. speaking of sabbath... ...flatwounds+tube amp=great Geezer sound

16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I'm using the Fender Medium flatwounds on my 2001 American P-bass (medium = .055 to .105) and while I like the sound a lot, the string tension (especially on the D and G it's VERY high).

One thing I've noticed is that the sustain isn't the same as the roundwounds (faster decay). My 5-string Godin BG-5 (Dean Markley Medium Nickle roundwounds) and Lakland Skyline 55-01 (original Lakland roundwound strings) really have great sustain.

The price is great, finish is beautiful, the sound is good, but the feel is very stiff. The neck is fine, but I just don't like the idea of those high-tension strings on it perpetually. The ML would have less tension but I've read on some other string reviews that the D & G are twangy.

I'm actually thinking of switching over to the LaBella Deep Talkin' flats.

17. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    My favorite flats are Rotosound RS77's after they break in, they feel great. They feel sticky at first, I'm guessing that's due to the monel, but once they break in look out. Great strings. I haven't tried TI flats yet. Looking forward to trying them, but they seem a bit pricey.

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "Flats are good for just about everything BUT hard rock, heavy metal and slap..."

Don't know about slap but I alternate between Round and Flat whenever I get the urge. I've used flats in Metal, Hard Rock and Punk. They work just fine. All depends on how you eq and play. A light guage flat set on a P or J can sound aggressive as hell if you eq correctly. They feel much smoother than rounds and don't have that trebly fuzziness some rounds have. My next set of strings are the Chromes...can't wait.

20. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, roundwound strings will wear frets quicker. But frets are there to be used, and your choice of strings is more important than fret wear. Consider fret wear - and the occasional fret dressing - as part of the cost of doing business.

That said, I use TI Jazz flats because I like 'em.