1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standard Fretless Jazz vs Squier VM Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Thoughts? Experiences? I've never tried the Fender, but I love the ebanol fingerboard on the Squier. Not sure how I'd feel about rosewood, especially with roundwounds.

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I've played a few Squiers in stores and they are generally nice. Every one I have picked up had a lot of bow in the neck, I don't know what that is about. People who own them sometimes complain about the fretlines being or becoming raised. Some say it is an issue some say not. I don't believe it is terribly hard to fix. A radiused sanding block from Stew-Mac will take care of it. I have never seen a Fender fretless in a store, or if I have it was a MIA Fender and I didn't take the time to try it since I won't (so far ;) ) spend that much money on a bass. Ebonal supposedly stands up to roundwounds quite well. I am about to put a Mighty Mite fretless neck on my Active Jazz and I will probably use rounds on it for at least a while so I will find out....

Ken

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I have a mighty mite fretless on a Squier Jaguar (passive) body. It's fantastic. I wish it was a J neck rather than a P, which is why I'd consider the another fretless with a jazz neck.

4. I have a late model MIM Fretless and it is a great bass. It is miles ahead of older mims I have owned.

5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I've owned both within the last six months (both new). Hands down the Fender MIM fretless was better. The tone on the Squier was horrible, and there were a ton of quality issues with the bass. That ebonol just did not feel right.

The MIM on the other hand, felt just like a jazz bass should. And sounded 100% better.