1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standard Jazz Bass 2011

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoelCMJ, Jan 27, 2012.

1. JoelCMJ

JoelCMJ

Mar 19, 2007
    South Wales
    Hey guys just wanted a bit of advice. At the moment I'm currently playing an Ibanez 6 string and it's a great bass but I rarely use the other two strings anymore and the tone to me isn't what I'm feeling.

I started researching and looking at the fender Pbass and Jazz bass in the £500 range and as soon as I heard the tone I fell in love! So I went to try one out in the local music store. I was wondering what every ones opinion is on this new model as I struggled to find reviews for it anywhere. (normally for the vintage basses)

I perferd the tone on the jazz but I tried out the P-bass in the same price range aswell.

Fender Standard Jazz Bass 2011 (Candy Apple Red, Maple)

thats the link for the bass. I was just wondering if you guys think it is worth it because I am going to be part exchanging for it with some electric guitars and possibly if I have to the 6 string bass too :O

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I'll say it first before anybody else. For a little more cash you can get an American Fender used on TB classifieds. Good luck!

3. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
    I own this exact bass, Mexican made and it's amazing. Best bass I've played (including American jazz basses). It's been professionally set up, fitted the pickups with Fender 60s custom shops, and I play it with gage 40 rotosounds and I think it plays perfectly. Ultimate tone for blues/rock. And to be fair, I play stuff ranging from Joe Bonamassa to The Cure and personally think it does the job with its effects uses so you know it has variety ;) I think the whole American > Mexican thing isn't true when you set it up correctly to how you want it. Just my thoughts.

4. JoelCMJ

JoelCMJ

Mar 19, 2007
    South Wales
    Sweet! Yeah the band im in covers the range of Queen, ELO etc but in my own jams and personal time I like to play funk and jazz too so this bass does seem very versatile. Wouldn't need it to play anything heavier then hardrock so its all good :)

5. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, John Deacon used a jazz bass for a while I'm sure, a lot of Funk players use Jazz basses and personally I think the tone will certainly suite those genres a lot better than an Ibanez. Just make sure it has passive pickups :p

6. John pretty much always played a P-Bass with an occasional Music Man.... live I've never seen him use anything else.

I know he had a Jazz at one point because I've seen a photo circa 1973/74 of him holding one in a natural finish - in the same photo, Brian May was holding a Stratocaster - but I don't know if/when he ever used it on anything.

7. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    I have that EXACT same bass, but from '09. I fitted it with Dimarzio DP123's, a Gotoh 201 and it's strung with GHS Boomers and it's my main player. The mods were for personal preference, the pickups and bridge were fine to begin with - I was dumb to change them, I'll admit that. Extremely versatile bass, was well set up out of the box, needed little adjustments, highly recommend!

You can't go wrong with this bass, if you can; try before you buy, but you'll enjoy it!

8. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh fair enough then. I was just trying to name a few examples to show it's versatility. How about Chris Wolstenholme from Muse and John Paul Jones from Zeppelin; there are two very different bass players and tones. I know they'd be using high end American/Japanese made jazz basses but there'snot much of a difference. I'm pretty sure the specs are very similar, maybe different wiring.

P.S, I welcome anyone to correct me on this because I'm curious to know what the actual difference is myself. :)

9. JoelCMJ

JoelCMJ

Mar 19, 2007
    South Wales
    Cheers guys. I think I'm going to trade in some of my guitars for the bass. I love the sound and feel of it and want to get back to the 4 string.