Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Standard Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, May 12, 2004.

1. this one: http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0136600

are there ppl here who play some 5 string fenders?? Cause i only saw 4 strings sofar. But i found one for a great deal and would like to evolve to 5 strings...

[​IMG]

ow, being a fender noob: is this a mexican, american or japenese fender???

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That right there is a Mexican Fender. I have the same one, in black. It's a decent bass, but it has a floppy low B and there are better deals out there. With that said, I love mine. It's probably because it was my first bass, though. :smug:

FWIW, you don't have to "evolve" into a 5-string player. I started out on a 5, because the bassists I listened to used them. It's just a bass with extended range, after all. If you can use the extra strings effectively, use as many as you'd like. :)

:bassist:

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think you'll get more out of a Mexican made 5 if you go with the active Deluxe model. Yes, it costs a bit more but you'll have more tonal variety and a more happening sounding B (even if it is still a bit on the floppy side). The passive Mex 5 would probably be a pretty decent bass with a pickup upgrade and MAYBE a Badass bridge. With the Deluxe, you've already got the active set up and the bridge deal is yr call. In the long run, it will cost you less and will sound a hell of a lot better right out of the box. Hang out on eBay long enough and you'll score one on the cheap. I recall seeing a red Mex Jazz 5 Deluxe in a Guitar Center last year with hardly a scratch on it that they wanted to get rid off for like $350 or something. Hell, I almost bought it myself but I really didn't have the need. My advice, go Deluxe!

Ron

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  5. i dont have the money for those basses... the Fender Standard Jazz Bass V was about all the money i got... what about the 4 string version? :)

6. I may be wrong, i know almost nothing about 5 strings, but can the floppy b be fixed with a good set of strings?

7. no, i've tried many different kinds from ver cheap to expensive.
    i have fender j5 and IMO the B sounds awful. i bought back when i wanted a 5 for the sake of having one. oh well if i only knew what i know now.

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The Marcus Miller 5 is the same price range as the RB5, its a American. How mucha re you looking to spend? Around the 700 so range you can grab a KSD or a Lakland Skyline, both amazing basses for the price.

9. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
  10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The US models have the string through body or bridge option. The US models also have better hardware and pickups a more happening neck and attention to detail. I take it we are NOT talking about the deluxe models with the active electronics, right? The new US Jazz V now has that S1 switching which switches the pickups from series to parallel (or vise versa). This is a hidden switch activated by pushing the volume button, a cool little plus that gives a little more tonal range. Overall, the US model is clearly better than the Mexican (especially the newer ones), but at half the price, the Mex V isn't bad with perhaps a pickup upgrade. If you ever find a place with both models (4 or 5) try them back to back and the difference will be plenty apparent!

Ron

11. i thank you!
    what do you think about the american jazz V? because they said the standard jazz V isn't good...

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The only American V's I've tried were all Deluxe models with the active electronics and they were mostly excellent. These Deluxe bodies are slightly smaller and have some other high end options that the passive V that you’re asking about doesn't have. I guess simply put, the straight up American Series Jazz V is basically like the American 4 but with a low B (same body, hardware and pickups). I'd really like to try these new American Jazz V's with the S-1 switching. I like the idea of having a great playing jazz bass with a low B without the complicated active electronics. However seeing as the neck an Fender 5s are traditional 34" scale in order bring out that low B active pickup/preamp has usually been a must. Therefore passive 5 string basses that are not 35” scale are at a disadvantage. However technology had gotten better. For instance, the Fender Roscoe 5 is passive and has plenty of tonal variety and a good low B and its still 34" scale. I know Modulus Graphite offers a passive option on their Flea bass that has some fancy passive pickups that are actually more expensive than Bartolinis.

Now I have tried the Mexican passive V years ago. These are the ones with the popular bodies (they now offer them in alder!). I can't say much about it. It wasn't horrible. With a decent set up it might have been ok but I was not moved. If you don't mind going with active electronics and you want to keep things cheap, I say get a MIM Jazz Deluxe 5. Tonally that bass is far more happening than the passive MIM 5 and likely only $100 or so more. But then this opens a can of worms! Because for a little less you can get the Korean made G&L Tribute L2005 which I think totally smokes the MIM Jazz Deluxe 5. Gezz, this stuff can make ya nuts!

You (and I for that matter) must try out the new American V and see how you feel. Try to get one of the new ones with the S-1 switching. Also the new American Series seem to be much better than the old American Standard Series. The necks and overall quality just seem so much better on the models I've tried.

Okay, I've rambled enough!

r

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    NOOOOO!!!!

not another fender...

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'm having a little bit of a love affair with the Fender American Deluxe 5's- had one a while ago and stupidly sold it- waiting for an Ebay one tomorrow. The just fit me, 34 in scale, great fat Fender tone, active so i can get those Marcus slap tones- they can usually be had on Ebay from 700- 900. Mine will be mainly for backup and outdoor gigs, and for travel. But it may wind up getting played a lot more than that, they seem to have the perfect tone for a lot of the smooth Jazz stuff i have been playing lately.

15. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I haven't read all of the previous responses to this post, so I don't know if someone has already made this point. The reason the B string on the Jazz Bass is floppy is that the bass has a 34" scale. 34" scale basses have tight E strings, but tend to have floppy B strings. The tightest B strings are found on basses with a 35" scale. I recently went from 5-string back to 4-string, but the 5-string I had has a 35" scale and a string-through bridge - very tight B string.

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey Limba dude,

How much money are you looking to spend for this five? If yr interest in the MIM passive is about money then there are other (and likely better) options. The Brice Basses come to mind in this case--they're even cheaper. If you have enough cash for a new MIM V then I say save up a little more and get yrself a G&L Tribute L2005. I've tried a couple of these basses and one time tried it next to an American one and I was really impressed. I think they're excellent buys for the $$$ and even give the domestic G&Ls a run for the money.

r

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Grindylow does the name Sadowky's marvelous 34" scaled lowB sais anything to you?

The problem with fender is that they arent really interested in developing a good V bass at least that you bought a Custom Shop one. And for the CS prices you can have an bass thats 3 or even 4 times better, im talking abuout American lacklands and NYC sadowskys.

It doesnt mater the scale, the only thing that matters is their R&D work and the hard work that some luthiers do to make good instruments and Fender is a great brand but they got stuck in 4's.

plus The RB V bass is a cheaper CS version the same way that all the other fender artist basses or do you think that those who have their onw models want everyone having the same axe.

This is what I think and please correct me if im wrong with it

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    On a Good Bass the Scale length dosent mean too much, a 34" scale bass could have a better low B than a 35" scale bass.

Good Bringing up the Sadowsky's. Great Point.