1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender standard jazz bass v

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basmicke, May 17, 2011.

1. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Anyone with experience of the new, upgraded 2009, model.
    Pu's are supposed to have been improved. In what way?
    Is it a decent instrument if you want a basic jazz with an extra string and no preamp or active pu's?
    How is the weight compared to other fivestrings?
    Any thoughts and info is appreciated since I'm thinking of getting one.

2. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Ok. Seems to be a mystery. I've written Fender asking about it but no answer.

3. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Been wondering myself but I haven't found one in a store to actually play. Just wish it was offered in more colors too.

4. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Yes, not much to choose from there unfortunately.
    I just got me a black one and I've ordered a tort pick guard to switch with the white one thats on now. I think that'll be a nice combination.
    The pu's seems ok, and the bass gives an overall good impression after the first couple of days. I know though that I should wait until I been out in the real world playing it for a while before I give a more final judgement.
    I feel at home physically anyway and the string spacing, neck profile and overall finish is great. I compared it to an american standard and an american deluxe and this mexican actually was what I was after. It is the one that mostly reminds me of an old traditional jazz bass but with the extra string. I'm not much for active pick ups and pre amps, I prefer to use high quality outboard stuff for that so that's one reason I liked it.
    Also the way the wood speak to me this model seems more vibrant and not as stiff as the american deluxe models. This might just be the natural differences from instrument to instrument. I didn't try that many.
    I'm very happy with the standard V at the moment anyway. It's a real good deal if you want a jazz bass with the extra low B. Nothing fancy but a good instrument for the working bass player.

5. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Ok. I've now owned the standard V jazz for awhile and played it a lot.
    The conclusion is that the stock pu's suck and that they need to be replaced in order to get a decent sounds from the bass.
    It's really a mystery why Fender put these pu's in, and have the nerve to call them upgraded.
    They are very microphonic and besides hum they also seem to produce a week and undynamic sound.
    So if you buy a Mexican V (probably the same goes for the 4 string models)
    , be aware that you'll have to spend an extra 1-200$ on decent pu's.
    Other than that, it's a good bass physically.