Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Standard Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Jan 23, 2006.

1. so i have been playing upright fro 5-6 years now and have gotten into jazz within the last year. i have never had experience with electric basses, but from what i understand fender is a pretty decent brand as far as j-basses go. i have the opportunity to buy a standard 4 string jazz bass(fretless as i dont really enjoy the fretted bass i have borrwed from my school) for 300 bux its 1-2 years old and everything is stock. the kid im buying from says he has a fretted satandard bass, and he added a new bridge and pick ups and it sounds just about as good as an american jazz bass. is this a good investment that will grow and last me a good couple of years? or should i be looking for something else. any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    -nick

2. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like a Mexican Jazz from the cost. From what I understand the MIM Fenders can be hit or miss. I've never played a bad one myself. I have a MIM Telecaster that is fine.
    If the bridge and pickups have been upgraded $300 sounds like a pretty good price. It is probably a fine instrument that should withstand gigging and normal play for many years.

3. well its not a mexican jazz bass, look on sam ash or musicians friend its just a standard jazz bass, but with no frets. its not upgraded though, that was just his personal input as what he did to the same type of bass but fretted to make it sound really nice. im just wondering if fenders in general are a good investment that can be upgrade easily. thanx alot though it seems like its gonna work out so thanx.

4. 18Phil81

18Phil81

Jan 23, 2006
    I recently defretted my bass, but the intonation is off and everytime i fix the intonation it sounds good for a minute then the intonation gets off again........?

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Standard jazzes and p's are made in mexico.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It is a standard fretless jazz bass, made in mexico.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    No one's answering his question.

Fender INVENTED the J. If you're getting it for 300 dollars (upgraded or not) it is made in Mexico. I had a fretted mim (Made in Mexico) J that I got a fretless neck made for and I upgraded the pick ups. It sounds incredible.

So to answer your questions: because they are basically the industry standard, as far as designs go, the Fender J is an incredibly versatile and easily upgradable bass.

For what it's worth: It's used right? Talk him down to 250.

8. well thank you very much for that lol didnt really get that mexico thing lol. but hesonly used it 4 times, and its in mint condition so i have no prob paying 300. thanx for answering my question guys. im probably going to buy this bass.

9. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I have a MIM standard jazz bass that has upgraded pick ups and a Leo Quan bridge. It has also been professionally set up. It holds it's own against higher end basses and has never failed me.

That bass and my SansAmp BDDI are the best band for the buck I've spent so far.

Buy it, you'll like it. ;)

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my Fender Fretless MIM.
    KILLER bass. I'm putting some new pickups in it.

-Mark

EDIT: First picture, it's the one on the left. Not the gold/black one.

11. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    I had a MIM fretless a few years ago, they're fine. The neck was my favorite part, the rest of my hardware issues could had been upgraded away, I guess. For 300, Fender is a pretty good brand as far as J basses go, I'm sure you'll get some enjoyment out of it. :p

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    MIM necks and bodies are MIA and assembled in Mexico. The tuners are the weakest part on the bass. They are hit and miss from construction and assembly point of view. Some have poor fret jobs. Some bowed necks. It's nothing that couldn't be sorted out. They can be a good deal if you are interested in customizing with upgrade components. Going that route pushes us your investmen in the bass that you may not recover when you sell it.

$300 is a good price. It's always easy to sell a Fender bass, regaardless of where it's made. You can easily resell it if you're not happy with it.

13. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Only thing I don't like about mine is the color. :D
    I paid $200 used on ebay, got lucky. I'd easily pay $300 to replace it if it were stolen.

14. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Well, you cant go wrong with the MIM after upgrades. But....

For $300, you can buy an SX Fretless Jazz Bass (Very similar to the Fender MIM, but made in China) + new pickups + a new bridge.

You'll save some money, if you're comfortable "rolling the dice" on an "off-brand."

15. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I just fell back on the Fender bandwagon. I got a killer deal on a new Fender MIM 5 jazz in the new brown sunburst..very cool color a $50.00 add on for standards it has the Pau Ferro fretboard ...looks like carmel...yum...Gotoh tuners and what is said to be the old style bi pole pups.This is the quietest fender i ever owned and so far i am loving the sound and playablity. I am trying it out from a local shop to see if i dig the 5 strings always played 4...so far i am and look to keep her for good.I am impressed by this bass and was down on Fender for a long time

16. I tried an MIM 5 string J and it sounded like a V2 buzz bomb. Way too loud. BTW, $350 new. But I hate loud basses ( hum ), so I wouldn't have paid anything for it.

Is it still hit and miss with Fender's. Meaning you have to find THE RIGHT MIM J?? Then I would try the bass and see how it feels, paying attention to details, which someone new to fretted may or may not catch.

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My question is, if you're getting into jazz but already play upright, why are you getting an electric?

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Who ever said that upright players can't play electric?
    Why do bass players play 4 strings? I mean, they can do the same on a guitar.

It's a freedom of choice. No one ever said you can't play Jazz Electric if you already play an upright.
    Plus, personally I associate upright bass with classical music more anyway.

-Mark

19. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    So now they have "modern" C shape necks instead of C shape necks...what is the difference?:confused: