Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Standard Jazz V vs American Jazz V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaMaGe, Inc., Mar 4, 2005.

1. I was just wondering, what is the difference between these two that makes the difference in price? I'm sure the American Jazz bass has better build quality, but how noticable are these differences? What about the tone, and any other specifications?

Thnx in advance.

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    regarding the build quality... I stripped the paint from my Standard Jazz V and the body was made from seven (!) pieces of wood (looked like basswood) with a veneer on top & bottom...

I dunno whether this would have an effect on tone but it was disappointing to see a body that looked like it had been made from glued-together two-by-four :)

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think the Fender web site has this info.

4. The Fender website was the first thing I checked ofcourse :) , but it doesn't really tell me anything about the difference in build quality and tone.

5. MIA has rolled edge fretboards, nice smooth fretwork, heavier bridge hardware, better electronics.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here are some of the differences
    1) MIA bass has a graphite reinforced neck, The MIM doesn't
    2) The MIA has much nicer tuners compared to the MIM basses tuners
    3) Pups and electronics will be of a better quality on the MIA bass
    4) MIA bass comes in more colors, probably available in translecent finishes
    5) MIA bass strings thru the body vs MIM bass thru the bridge
    6) MIA bass is straplock ready, MIM bass is not.
    7) MIA bass comes with a case, strap and wrenches, MIM bass does not
    8) MIA necks have rolled fingerboard edges and better fretwork

And last but not least, when you buy MIA basses they need nothing in the way of upgrades. If your decide to change any part on a MIA bass it's becausa you just want to and not that it needed it! (I have a MIA natural 2000 jazz with Fralins in it) this bass sounded great stock and was my go to bass at the time but with so many basses in my stable I picked it to mod. Now it's real nasty!
    As far as MIM basses go, they are excellent entry level basses and will perform as needed to get you on the road to enjoying bass playing. As you become familiar with what you want YOUR sound to be you will be able to modify you MIM bass to your hearts content. I own 3 MIM basses, all with some sort of modification.

7. Allright, thnx for the info guys. :)