Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Standard Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by padresfan311, Jun 16, 2005.

1. padresfan311

padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    I am looking into possibly buying this bass (as my 2nd bass, first 5 stringer). Has anyone here played it or would like to comment on it? Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks so much

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Check it out and make sure it has a good B string. Many people complain about Fender b strings saying they don't sound as full as the other strings or that they have to be played softly because they flop too much. On the other hand, I have played a few Fender 5s with tight b strings. I recently have checked out an American Standard 5 that i could definitely be happy to own. So check out that B in person before you buy!

3. i own the american version and have gone through about 22 basses since i bought it in '97... it's all i play!!!! i can go from bluegrass to metal with just changing my hand positions...

definitely try a few out first... can't stress that enough..

4. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    5 string Jazz don't sound like 4's, IMO. Before buying one, compare it with a 4, and make sure the 5 sounds right for you.

R.e. the B string, it was originally floppy, it took me some time to find the right set up to fix that. It got even better when I put DR strings on it.

Playability is very good.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the USA version, built in 1997. I am completely in love with it. No problems with the "B" string on mine.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to stress again, take time and find a good Fender. A good Fender is very hard to beat. I know that from experience.

7. padresfan311

padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    yea i played it a couple days ago and the b did sound a bit floppy...ill go to gc to see if they have one that doesnt have a floppy b