Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey everyone, i'm ordering the Fender Standard Fretless Jazz tomorrow, and i'm wondering if I should put some pickup covers on it when I order, just for the traditional look.

What are the advantages of the covers? What are they used for?

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    they just look so darn pretty

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Haha they do, nice traditional look, but do they have a purpose? LIke do they do anything for the sounds? Apparently the Bridge covers had a mute in them or something?

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The old vintage jazzes had individual string mutes under the bridge cover. I guess the purpose of the bridge cover was to cover the ugly string mutes, and make the bass look nicer.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    These days, purely cosmetic.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Didnt they used to be an attempt to shield from the 60s cycle hum?

7. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i vote for them they look sooo nice

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I vote against them, as pretty as they are, they kind of impede on ur finger position choices

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    No.

They can help you or disturb your playing, as well as not affect it at all. But if you really care about the looks so much, you'll find a way.

The Pickup and bridge covers you order now are just to give a vintage vibe. Since you seem to like that, order them.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    They may be more useful to a pick player, as you could rest your palm on them while picking. For me, they're right smack dab in the way of where I like to pluck, and are just a nusance.

12. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I have 'em on my Jazz, and I have attached a little weatherstripping to the underside of the bridge cover to act as a mute.

They're just so darned pretty.

13. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    And, as far as impeding playing, you get used to it. Obviously, they're not for everyone.

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Does anyone have a pic of a Jazz with JUST the Neck pickup cover? LIke the Marcus Miller, but i'm looking for the pickuard the same shape too :p

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    There's at least one on Nino's website, and some on Sadowsky's as well.

How does that work? I have always been under the impression that they are just cosmetical now.

16. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I recall noting that the guy on David Letterman wa playing one like that the other night. No idea what it was, though.