Fender Standard jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Nov 23, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Why is the Fender Jazz so much better than the Squier Jazz?
  2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    The MIM Jazz has better hardware and wood, generally speaking. The electronics on the Squiers is a little weaker, too. Both have marginal pickups, though. The MIM usually has better volume and tone pots. Whichever way you decide to go, the biggest single improvement you can make is to swap pickups.
  3. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    What would you recommend as replacements?
  4. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    The MIM Stds since July 2001 have been upgraded, with the Jazz getting the most upgrades, including the pups, which are now also std size. However, the upgrades came at a price premium.

The Squier Std Jazz has a solid agathis body (unless you can find a MIC Squier Std Jazz, which would be solid alder). They are very well finished and good value, but the pups are definitely a weak point (IMO).

I don't think the price difference is justified. The pots and wiring would be US$15 retail. The tuners on both are only OK. So, the rest is down to body wood and pups (and decal).

If you can afford the MIM Std it is good enough out of the box, whereas the Squier is definitely let down by the pups.

If you can only afford the Squier, and can live without Shoreline Gold, which is anyway rather flat on these IMO, I’d get a used pre-update MIM Std Jazz, despite the non-std pup routing (btw, I think it’s Aero that do a direct replacement for these).
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have to disagree here. I had a 1995 MIM Jazz bass. The pickups were wired correctly from Fender, in humbucking mode with both up, just like my MIA Jazz V. The pickups in this bass sounded downright good. I replaced them with Basslines Quarter Pounds because I wanted to keep the traditional single coil sound. That was money wasted. It sounded different, but not better. I think the pickups on the MIM Jazz basses are highly underrated and are fine items. Just another opinion.
  6. sciulli

May 13, 2002
    is the fender jazz bass called MIM?

anyways, I'm looking into getting my first new bass, the one I have now is some used Epi that's in really bad condition.

I was looking into getting a Fender. What is the difference between the Jazz and the Precission bass?

also, what's the difference between the standard, deluxe, classic, american, etc.? what is the price difference between these and performance differences?
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree. In the "Fender MIA - Can You Tell" thread a couple of weeks ago, I posted two sound samples, one on a MIM Jazz and one a Lakland, and most people couldn't tell which was the MIM Jazz. I think there was only one who got it right. And my MIM Jazz is from 2000, before they changed to better pickups.
  8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    MIM = Made in Mexico
    MIJ = Made in Japan
    MIA = Made in America

The Standard are MIM, the American Standard are MIA. Many of the signature models are MIJ (the Geddy Lee for example). The difference in quality has been argued over and over on this board, with some of us thinking the MIM are pretty good basses, and others thinking they suck. You will have to try them out and decide for yourself.

The main differences between the Precision and the Jazz are the pickups and the neck width. The Jazz has two single coil pickups, and a 1 1/2" nut width. The Precision has one split coil humbucking pickup, and a nut width of 1 11/16".
  9. MIM = Made in Mexico
    MIA = Made in America
    MIJ = Made in Japan

The conventional wisdom says they are rated as follows:

1. MIA
    2. MIJ
    3. MIA

But as with most types of 'conventional wisdom', there are always exceptions to the rule.

In the end, each bass is a unique instrument. You might find a MIM that plays better and sounds better to YOU than a MIA, for example.
  10. sciulli

May 13, 2002
    *waiting for an edit*
  11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm planing on getting a jazz bass But I don't want an american one not because I can't afford it it's just not what I'm looking for I was thinking of buying a MIM Fender Jazz (Sunburst) And putting dimazio or barts in it and a j retro pre amp with the pasive control am I better to buy the squire and sand the squire bit off or get a MIM?
  12. I just bought a 2001 MIM J fretless, and looked at the updated parts catalog out of idle curiosity. I noticed that both pickups (neck and bridge) have the same part number. The new pickups may be standard sized, but there is supposed to be a 0.1" difference between standard neck and bridge pickups. The bridge is 0.1" wider. If both pickups have the same part number, both must be the same size.

The more important aspect of the identical part number is, both pickups are wound in the same direction. A true humbucker configuration would have the neck wound one direction (north-going) and the bridge pickup wound opposite (south-going). Since the part numbers are identical, the windings must be the same. This means there will still be hum when both pickups are full on. The pickups are expected to hum when solo'ed, because they are single coil type.

I bought a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups as an immediate replacement for mine. The DM are bi-lateral (side by side) humbuckers, and hum free when solo'ed.
  13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This is only partly right. It doesn't matter which way they are wound, it matters which way they are wired . You just reverse the wires on one and it becomes reverse wound. The MIMs do not hum when both pickups are full up (I know, I have one in my hands as I'm writing this).