1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standard-Less options available

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Fender, it seems, has pared down its option list on the Standard series basses. No longer are maple fingerboards available. Three color options are left with Pau Ferro fingerboards. Black, Sunburst and Candy Apple Red. No Lake Placid. No Arctic White and one fingerboard wood(not even rosewood). I'm feeling a little disappointed. I feel like the days of an affordable bass from fender are coming to an end.

Mili likes this.
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The MIM Standard Jazz V appears to be gone, too, but they haven't dumped the MIM Deluxe Active Jazz V yet. However, our own @Dr. Cheese recently noted that there are additional Players series models in the pipeline, so perhaps the price point (or something close to it) will be preserved on other MIM models.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    We've got four colour options showing for the P Bass on the UK site, the same three as you have plus Arctic White with maple options available only on the Black and Sunburst.
    The Standard Jazz bass also adds Lake Placid Blue with maple fingerboards as standard across the board, with Pau Ferro only offered as an option on the Black and Sunburst.

Seems to be a bit confusing at the moment.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We've hashed this out before. Fender has to produce what sells. If other colors and maple board sold well, you can believe they would still be making them. Nothing is personal in business. They didn't remove options to disappoint Fender customers. They reacted to market forces like everyone else. They don't tell us what to buy. We tell them what to produce.

If there were 12,000 of you clamoring for a LPB Mexi P bass with a maple board, Fender would be cranking them out as hard as they could go. :D

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am puzzled why folks are not happy that Fender is using Pau Ferro in place of rosewood. Pau Ferro is harder and typically better looking and has been used for years by high end builders. Fender used it years ago for the fingerboard on the Roscoe Beck V.

6. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    Most also don't realize that they CAN'T offer rosewood in a global market due to CITES. Anyone that is still offering real rosewood are limiting sales to the US market by default.

7. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'm pretty sure Fender isn't the only company making P-style basses. Someone is making what you want. Don't be hung up on the name.

Duder, pudge, Deak and 4 others like this.
  8. I don't think it looks better. I think it looks washed out compared to rosewood. IMO

9. The price point is unbeatable on top of it being a name brand. Not a knock off. But c'mon. $600......with something that's a very good quality? The options were great. Red, Blue, Black, White and Sunburst with an option of maple or Pau ferro. I still find it dissapointing.

Mili likes this.
  10. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    No more LPB and Maple?!?!

Blasphemous.

SpyderX, Remoman and electracoyote like this.
  11. There hasn't been a press release yet, but Fender is going to upgrade the Ensenada made Standard line. I am not privy as to what exactly, so we will all find out together. Hopefully soon.

Ghastly, ruju, Aqualung60 and 3 others like this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Either F*nd*r is getting smart as to product control (unlikely) or they are making it much easier for GC staff to comprehend their product offering (likely). :D

Lownote38 likes this.
  13. That's good news. Now is the time to start working some overtime because God only knows what's coming our way.

14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Actually they can, but it has to be legally sourced and accompanied by proper documentation. This increases cost and delivery times, so many companies have decided not to bother with it, especially for more inexpensive models, and switch to something else, such as Pau Ferro.

wmmj likes this.
  15. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    There’s nothing like that Rosewood tone. Pao Ferro just doesn’t sound the same.

Only saying this because its harder to get now. :roflmao:

covermego, wmmj, IPA and 1 other person like this.
  16. Yes but the Pau Ferro they use now, IMO, is of a too clear colour ... I don't know its feel but, aesthetically wise, I prefer a darker look ...

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Better looking? It always looks like a faded or bleached version of what I want my rosewood to look like.

18. Maybe I'm missing something, but I swaer I don't kwon where are you looking at

pb.

IPA likes this.
  19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I would imagine they will have new models coming out. I'd be curious what percentage the standard line accounts for in Fender's sales figures. I bet it's a lot.

As for Pau Ferro, I don't have an opinion.