1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standard-Less options available

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 11, 2018.

1. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Here's what I'm seeing now. International sites seem to always be different for Fender vs. US.
    upload_2018-6-11_12-26-42.

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I just got a '17 MIM Precision from CME, in April...

IMAG2084.

... are you referring to the '18 offerings? In terms of quality and sound, it ranks right up there with the rest of mine... rotation-worthy, if you will.

I'd call and check a few places. I bet they still have a few here and there, which will check all the boxes on your list...

... you do have a list, don't you?

3. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I have to agree on the pau ferro color. Looks really faded and unappealing to me. Never played it though, so I can't speak to that.

4. Bad news for us maple board players. And that combined with the red and LPB was killer. I know a lot of players who appreciated that Fender did that with the MIM line and will be disappointed if they stop offering those options. Great bang for the buck if you wanted "Fender" legitimately on your headstock for whatever reason floats your boat. Fender's decision to limit or scale it back would be a marketing head-scratcher from my perspective.

Glad I was able to acquire a few during their brief run, if that is the case. They are in heavy rotation with me. None required more than the standard 20-minute set up, and perhaps a little nut slot touch up, resulting in rock solid players.

5. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The cool thing about Fender basses is that no matter what crazy combination of colors or features you’re looking for, there's probably one available secondhand for hundreds less than new.

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Glad I picked up an arctic white MIM Jazz with a maple board. It's a 2015, but the neck is perfect!

bobba66, electracoyote and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I bought my MIM Jazz new in 2006. I don't regret it because it's a great bass, but I'd never buy a new Standard P or J again.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. If Fender does scale back the MIM Standard options to the bare-bones black/burst/red/pau ferro board, you can expect used MIM's with maple boards and other colors to be marked up appropriately.

And I don't see a Jazz on the Fender page. IF discontinued, used MIM Jazzers (maple board, extra colors) would retain even more value.

All the praise, particularly for the necks and higher QC standards since 2008-2009, are for real. Fender may be doing this to herd their buyers toward more USA offerings.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don’t like it. It looks like sad rosewood to me.

10. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Try other good brand .
    Fender doesn't do it any more.
    The new basses start get a huge price tag and even if high end the electronics aren't that good anymore .
    The quality is high for 2000$ but that's too much .
    The mexcian mix up with some high end squier .
    Like squier classic vibe 70s p bass is much better than fender mim .
    That's crazy because the fender new stuff are not that good .
    A high end bass yes but in mid-range well other brand do much better .
    G&l
    Lakland
    Sire
    Schecter
    Modern brand
    Ibanez
    Dingwall (high end )
    Sandberg (high end )

My own experience and recommendation is this .
    Because fender was big but it's 2018 .
    Slolwy other brands kind of beating fender .

Luigir likes this.
  11. Forgot to add Marusczyk ... very good value for the money although, maybe, in the US their cost is inflated by import taxes (same in Europe for US or MIM made instruments) ..

wishforbass and Luigir like this.
  12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I like darker fingerboards as well, but it’s not that big a deal. Pau Ferro feels and sounds just fine, And I find I’m getting used to the look.

13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I don’t agree. Fender produces very good instruments, and the MIM offerings are very good value. I prefer my MIM P to my American Standard P.

Youngspanion likes this.
  14. Swingin

Swingin

Apr 29, 2018
    Well this news sucks. I’d been wanting a lake placid blue P bass with a maple board for ages.

Remoman likes this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Time's up!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Youngspanion likes this.
  16. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I don't believe Fender ever made all colours, and all fingerboard combinations every year.

17. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    This thread happens every time Fender starts updating their page... seems like the page gets flaky, like they drop stuff off a bit as a time... as the available quantities dwindle and then, bam!, the new stuff hits the page and then we'll all be seething with wonderment or disgust as everyone weighs in.

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i was having a great day until this sad, sad news. :laugh:

images2b2.

19. Remoman

Remoman

Mar 14, 2017
    SoCal
    BINGO on both fronts! Check these out, and check the availability dates which change with color.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-standard-precision-bass-pau-ferro-fingerboard

And the new limited edition in mid July...
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-standard-precision-limited-edition-electric-bass

Templar, electrichead and OllyW like this.
  20. Hmm. Fewer options, higher prices. For years I've wanted the available choices for left-handed players to be the same as right-handers. But I assumed that meant expanding what was available to LH players. It seems instead that RH bassists are now being given the same options LH players have. Welcome to our world. You'll forgive me if I don't feel particularly sorry about it.