1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standard-Less options available

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 11, 2018.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    You can still get any color you want from Fender. Just pick up the phone and order it. I’d also bet the same is also true for maple or rosewood boards.

Youngspanion likes this.
  2. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Here is the answer to your puzzlement: “O my gosh..it’s something new, so until I see someone playing one I’m really impressed with, I’ll pass.”

I really do like rosewood fingerboard, and prefer them over maple. I have no idea why. That said, I’ve done a lot of recording work with a P-Bass and Strat that have Maple necks. Frankly, the difference between Rosewood or Maple is so minimal on tape, this choice had got to be driven by the fact humans are visually driven.

3. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I never really cared for rosewood fingerboards but that's what they all came with. Too soft. Pau Ferro is interesting. Maybe a dab of boiled linseed oil will darken it a little?

Deak likes this.
  4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Oct 31, 2006
    AMERICA
    Dang it! Guess I'll have to buy another US Lakland or vinatge Fender.

5. Its the 'price-point' of the Standard line that matters here though.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  6. ll Rip ll

ll Rip ll

Jul 20, 2014
    Lebanon, OH
    Rosewood? Pau Ferro? Where's my ebony???

Mili likes this.
  7. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    My thoughts as well. Seems to me you could darken it as much as you like.

leonard likes this.
  8. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Anyone try F-ONE oil on pau ferro?
    I used it on an allparts telecaster solid rosewood telecaster guitar neck and the results were stunning.From washed out ,sun bleached bones looking to really rich dark brown.

Deak, leonard and covermego like this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This should make it nice and brown. :thumbsup:

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I think with colors avail. and a dozen or so special runs per year, they offer plenty of choice.

wmmj and IPA like this.
  11. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    The used market is absolutely flooded with gear, no need to buy new

12. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    The real reason everyone thinks rw is better. Another superiority point to flex

pudge, leonard and Pendulous like this.
  13. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Agreed. Fender has really disappointed me lately. I just ordered a Carvin PB4 bass with all the options I wanted for far less than a US Fender. If Fender was still making the American Standard Series I would buy one new, but the MIMs and the American Professional basses are not my cup of tea.

14. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play...

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Got this '17 Standard at GC, used, last fall for $350... Upgraded even with Hipshot bridge and tuners and SD Quarter Pounders. Whoever did the work set it up beautifully as well and put it in a hardshell case to boot. I hit the jackpot. Eat your hearts out:

Capture.JPG

12BitSlab, swartzfeger, pudge and 5 others like this.
  15. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    For those interested in darkening a fret/finger board: StewMac has been selling black dye for years (I just buy black leather dye......same thing, lower price). Folks have utilized it to darken a streaked ebony board or darken other non-finished boards. I have used it on quite a few Squier necks with lighter rosewood boards and have had great results. I give them a good scrubbing beforehand (409 and a scotch-brite pad, then acetone to dry it). I've had zero problems with dye soaking into inlays or bindings - I just apply a bit of acetone or naptha to remove some of it, plus you can lighten the board up a bit for the desired lightness/darkness. WEAR GLOVES, unless you want to go around with black-dyed hands for a week or so. YMMV.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...d_Stain.html&usg=AOvVaw2svVN3MZ9WcRz6cvgb5zR5

16. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Christ. It's a Standard; just be glad they offer it in anything other than sunburst. Wait it out for your color combo to come back, or buy used.

If you want whatever color and fretboard (and some other options) you want, whenever you want it, for a reasonable price considering that you're basically ordering the equivalent of a Fender Custom Shop instrument: Save your pennies and custom order a G&L LB-100 or JB.

Score!

17. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    I heard a good sound test between rosewood and pau ferro on a Strat. Now the pau ferro is a deal breaker for me.:(

18. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm assuming, since you reached such a firm conclusion based on that "good sound test," that the test involved swapping a representative sample size of fretboards made of each wood onto the same neck and body, which are made of dead-on average examples of their respective woods, and that similarly representative sample sizes of string sets were swapped on for each board, that the guitar was plucked by a robot, and that the millions of test results were objectively analyzed by a computer...and that there were ways to control/neutralize whatever other variables there might have been...and that the test took about 20 or 30 years to complete, given the millions of individual tests required, and the changeover time between each test.

This doesn't even approach how a real scientist would have to test your conclusion. I'm just a layman throwing out crap; they know how to actually conduct valid tests, and it ain't even near as simple as I just laid out. Point being, it is bordering on impossible to even *design* a scientifically valid test that could firmly establish the differences in tone that wood species, or other wood characteristics, might cause by being used for a specific part on one of our basses. Conducting a test that would survive review is close to impossible. It will never happen because there is zero financial motive to conduct such an experiment; there is far more money to be made by *not* knowing. "This wood sounds like this for this reason" statements are anecdotal, always have been, and always will be, because nobody will ever bother to perform a valid enough experiment to form a definitive conclusion.

Personally, I've played great and awful sounding instruments made of any combination of woods that you can imagine. As such, I pay zero attention to what the thing is made of, except inasmuch as it affects looks and weight. If it sounds good, I'll be able to tell...because it'll sound good; that's the only "good sound test" that's worth a damn to me. Bottom line, if it sounds good, it sounds good, and nobody can tell you definitively why. People really need to quit trying to tell us why, because we just don't know, and we never will.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    12BitSlab and Pendulous like this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Which is precisely why options are limited. Fender streamlines production costs to keep retail cost down. I’d bet you could get a custom color on an MIM standard bass for about what it would cost to get one of the Mexican made reissue or artist sig basses.
    As for not liking pau ferro? Lighten up. I’ve been using Fender necks with pau ferro boards for a while now and i can’t tell a bit of difference between them and rosewood. As for looks, here’s an MIM Deluxe J with a PF board and a parts bass with an MIM Deluxe J neck with a PF board and i don’t see the problem with color people are talking about.

EF46F666-3C68-4F6F-96BA-68377C0A2714.

C3653FFA-491C-4237-958D-F18836E50987.

20. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Look, unfortunately i wasted years to become an engineer and i know how a scientific test should be. Explain this:why every rosewood strat(same model) sounds same to me but same model with pau ferro sounds different to me? The only thing we have to trust is what we are hearing!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018