Fender Standard Mexican P Bass - Feedback

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smithy, Oct 31, 2004.

1. smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    I am on the cusp of buying one, and was wondering if there are any owners out there with feedback.

I've played one, I'm more concerned with quality going forward, durability etc.

Are they as tuff as nails?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just take your time and look at as many as possible. If you get a good one, you will be just fine.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're like women. Some suck, some don't :p

Play a bunch, got about a 15% chance of finding a good bass in the lot. Once you find a gem, ignore the color and leave the store with it. After paying of course.
  4. smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Are they generally a bass that can take some punishment? The Neck on my old Ibanez CT is on the way out, but it was cheap.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Some can, can't vouch for many as I've only owned one, but it was rock solid. I've heard of others bending in half when it rains.
  6. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Got mine about 10 yrs ago. It was "one of the good ones" as it plays beautifully, stays in tune well, doesn't loose it's set-up evertime a cold or warm front passes. Last year I added SD 1/4-lb pups. It's my main tracking bass, and it sounds absolutely awesome live in most applications. The only thing that keeps it from being my main bass is that I also own a Spector 5-string. But, the older I get, and the more I think about it, I really miss the old school tone and feel and am strongly considering keeping the 5 on the sidelines for as-needed applications and bringing the P back into the starting line-up.

As has been said, if you find a good one, snag it. From what I've been hearing and also what I've found on my own, I guess I really lucked out. But how else would it be, my wife bought it for me for Father's Day. It couldn't have gone any other way. Yeah, I'm a lucky guy!

Cheers and good luck!
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I got one of the bad apples. The amp I played through at the store was a very grindy/muddy amp and it's lack of thump wasn't as blatantly obvious as it is on my GK. To sum this up, something in the neck, neck joint, or body is sucking up all the depth and roundness. Before anybody starts crying about pu's, strings, or amp problems I have to say this: this is how the bass sounds acoustically. I've been to the music store since and plucked open E's on the basses on the wall and the difference is night and day against my bass. There is nothing outwardly wrong with the bass (loose tuners, cracked nut, etc.) and I tried a few sets of strings. It's just.....bad :scowl: .

I'm not saying Fender itself is crap, but there quality control certaintly is. Just take a good long test drive and like Tplyons said ignore colors and you'll be happy. :)

EDIT: I'm talking about a MIM P.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Like others have said, you gotta pick through them, if shopping new, or get a good one if buying used. If it plays well acoustically, you should be in good shape.

I bought a used one a my local GC a few years ago. The neck needed adjustment and once I did that, it became a wonderful P Bass. Much better than the '74 P Bass I got as a teen in 1974.

I've since put a DiMarzio Will Power Middle pup on it and it's a monster. I've had a BadAss II bridge on it too, but somehow like the vibe of the original bridge... I use DR Hi Beams.

I have a number of more expensive basses but I truly believe that I could be happy with just the P...

Shop carefully and you'll be rewarded with loads of P Bass goodness!!!!
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 2 MIM but they are Jazz Basses, one fretless and a
    Deluxe 5.They are both 1998 models I bought in 1999.
    The only problem with the 5 was one of the screws on the
    string tree was not screwed in all the way, otherwsie the Bass
    was perfect. The Fretless only had 2 problem's from the factory. The spring on the "G" string bridge adjuster was to short and would vibrate.The tech at the store took it out, streched it a bit and it was fine. The second problem was the
    groove in the nut for the "A" string was cut to deep, and the string rattled against the fretboard. The tech at the store
    put a new nut in.I later changed the pick-up's in the fretless
    to seymore Duncans and I put a set of RS66 Rotosounds on it.
    The Factory pick-up's were a little to hollow sounding for my taste.Other than that the neck adjustment and intonation
    stays perfect.
  10. I bought mine as a "beater". I wasn't looking for a bass to tear up, just something I didn't have to care for as much. I've had it for 2 years and it has held up as well as any other bass I've owned. Can it take some punishment? Yes, depending on your definition.
  11. smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone!

Looks like I've got some shopping around to do!

Cheers Smithy
  12. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    As the owner of at least three MIM Fender basses and at least as many MIM Fender guitars I would like to make a couple of suggestions: The only really bad sounding MIM Fender that I ever owned had a miniscule problem in the fit of the neck-body joint. Literally ten minutes with an emory board cleared it right up. When you described your P-Bass as sounding poor accoustically thia immediately came to mind. I discovered this problem by removing the pickguard and examining the gap around the neck joint. There was a definite taper to the gap which indicated that the neck was forced into seating crookedly in the neck pocket. I looked at the base of the neck and determined where material had to be removed and went to work with an emory board. Maybe this is what is going on with your P-Bass.

My current MIM Fender is a Deluxe P-Bass Special which is nothing but a MIM P-Bass with an extra pickup and a fancy paint job. In the past I have had two MIM Jazz Basses one fretted and one fretless. All of these have been pretty stable and playable. The Fretless Jazz Bass was a wonderful axe which I replaced with a Warwick (once I could afford such a beast).

I have a MIM Tele that is13 years old and a MIM Strat that is 8 or 9 years old and both of these guitars are absolutely great. I wouldn't trade either for their California-built equivalent.
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Maybe you're right. Do you think if I took some pics of the neckjoint with the pg off and sent them to you you could see what's wrong and tell me what do? How much does an emory board cost?

It'll be atleast a little while though. I've got a new bass coming and the MIM P's gonna be put under the bed. I appreciate your input BenderR :) .
  14. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I just bought one, used, a few weeks ago. I didn't need another bass, but the price was right and I couldn't pass it up.

I took it home, cleaned it up and put some new strings on it. It sounds good and has fantastic sustain.

I've played quite a few MIM Fenders in stores and every so often i come across a good sounding one. I've also played quite a few MIA's and found a few duds in that lot also. I've got a couple MIM Jazz basses that sound great also--but I had to play several before making my choice.

Durability? Mine have several thousand hours of use on them and they are still going strong. Never had any truss rod issues with either of them.
  15. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Send 'em on up or PM me for an email address.

16. Mine has a Badass2, SD Quarterpounder and Hipshot tuners, and I love it, maybe I got one of the good ones 'cause the neck on mine is fantastic. Just like everyone says, try as many as you can, there are some great ones, but many crap ones too. Find a good one, and you're on to a winner.