Fender Standard MIM P Bass Opinions Or Others

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starburst, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Now have the itch to get a new 4 string bass but of course funds are limited. Looking to get something solid in the $400.00-$600.00 dollar range. Play mostly rock & blues so I am thinking of the Fender Standard MIM P Bass but checking the reviews has my head spinning around. Some say its great, others trash them. Even one review said the electronics are Chinese junk. Looking for honest opinions of those that have them. Do they last and how durable are they. Not fixed on Fender alone if there are other brands to consider for this playing style. Sad to say there are no good shops around that have them to try out so it would be mail order. Have had good luck with Sweetwater & Chicago Music Exchange so I would probably go with either one of them. Opinions really appreciated.

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The MIM Standards are great instruments, and terrific platforms for modding. There are tons of P clones out there that can be had for even less, but a Standard P will handle rock & blues with aplomb. Additionally, purchasing a new Fender through an authorized dealer gives you a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

If you're interested in a P/J configuration, the Yamaha BB series is quite nice. Yamaha just redesigned their BB models (see this thread) and offers a mid-priced model – the BB434 – that's within your budget.

Winton, rickwebb and Son of Wobble like this.
  3. I've been playing Fenders for fifty years and the new MIM standards are as good as anything I played "in the day" and maybe better. I do have two 80s era MIJ (Japanese) Precisions that are great as well.

Winton, 74hc and Son of Wobble like this.
  4. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Thank you both, Very appreciated. I have a 2012 Fender American Jazz Bass but to me it does not work well with rock. I will have to check out those Yamahas though.

5. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

I agree. Contemporary (2009 or newer) MIM Standard FTW.

I own three. 20-minute setup out of the box, ready for the stage. I have no compelling reason to mod any of mine.

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Fingers, or pick? What are you stringing it up with, these days? Amplification?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Fingers. Fender 9050ML Medium Light. Hobby player so I have a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Other than you stating it, I've haven't read anything suggesting you can't rock it... looks like you have a pretty good setup... from what I've read, in this forum alone, the MIMs are well respected... plus, I don't think you can wrong if you order anything from Sweetwater... Good luck in your research!

9. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Thanks Spidey. Think that you are right but theres always room for one more.

10. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Got mine new in '95. Still got it. Still like it. Love the shallow neck profile. Do they still have that?

If you buy an older one you'll eventually want to swap the pup, guts and tuners but that's no big deal. If it's a newer one you probably won't have to do anything to it.

I recommend a used example from the past 8 years out so. They can be quite a bargain.

If you want to save some cash and don't mind used, hunt down an LTD Vintage 214 or 204. It's 90% of a MIM Standard for less than half the cost. I had the fretless version and it was very nice.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That is very, very odd. So many famous rock records recorded with a Fender Jazz; there is definitely something wrong with that.

Starburst likes this.
  12. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    My advice is to buy used - either a MIM Fender P for $300 or so, or kick in a little more and buy a used MIA Fender P... I use GC's used gear pages frequently - there are some real deals to be had there, and you can return it if something's not right...

Winton, Orpheus55 and Starburst like this.
  13. thebreakman

thebreakman \m/

Sep 14, 2013
    Virginia
    I sold my Am P and kept my MIM P if that tells you anything

Starburst likes this.
  14. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    You can have your J bass wired with a series/parallel switch that will give you more of a P sound. BTW, not sure it will matter to you but some of the P necks can be quite a handful compared to a Jazz neck.

Also, there's a new Sire P/J bass out that might work well for you . . .

Starburst likes this.
  15. I have a 1995 MIM and it see's playing time on nearly every gig. just in case :)

upload_2017-7-31_9-23-1.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Starburst likes this.
  16. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Thanks all. Decided on a new MIM Standard. Chicago has one with a maple neck that I am thinking of. Sweetwater has one with a Pao Ferro fingerboard, I am used to maple or rosewood but have no idea of Pao Ferro and if its worth the $25.00 extra.

17. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Maybe its me but I cannot seem to get that P Bass growl out of my Jazz if I am saying that correctly.

18. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    MIM have drastically upped their game in recent years. Some of the one's I've played recently (including the one I have for sale :crying:) have been comparable to my MIA feel wise. They're really outstanding basses and there's no reason why one couldn't be your work horse for many years to come if cared for correctly.

thebreakman and Starburst like this.
  19. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Look at Adam Neeleys videos on YouTube if you're worried about what an MIM P can do.

oMetaloHead likes this.
  20. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Deal is done. Bought a new MIM P Bass in sunburst with a maple neck from Chicago Music Exchange.

Winton, WayneB, Echase409 and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021