Fender Standard P Bass' gloss

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sawido, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Sawido

Sawido

Jun 22, 2015
    So a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to try this bass and everything was OK (great tone, good finish...) but I have a question to ask.
    The bass I tried had a maple neck with the maple fingerboard, and I saw that the finish was quite "bright".
    As I love vintage glossed fingerboard I asked the shop manager if that bright finish could turn close to vintage by using it for years as other instruments do. BUT, he told me that Fender uses a special varnish in order to avoid that change in the finish..
    My question is, is that actually true? Or it's just that kind of advertising made to catch customer's eye?
    And if so or if not, it's possible to change the fingerboard's finish?

The vintage gloss that I'm talking about is sth like this... (on a bass neck, of course xD)

Attached Files:

• url.jpg
      url.jpg
      File size:
      3.9 KB
      Views:
  2. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I don't believe that there is any "varnish" that is not affected by time (darken-yellowing), but who knows how it will end up
    after years. It's the wood bright color not the clear coat. It is possible to change the fretboard finish but I guess that would involve
    a luthier. The most important thing is that you like the tone.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    They use UV inhibitors in the varnish. It will still yellow just not as fast.

4. Sawido

Sawido

Jun 22, 2015
    Thanks for your help!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021