Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Standard P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canary, Jun 4, 2004.

1. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    hey, im just about to start out on the bass guitar. heard the starter stuff and it was crap so i am thinking of paying a bit more (around £300) for a Fender Standard P-Bass, Mexican made.

Would you think this would be a good move and what do you think about the Fender Standard P-Bass?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I think Mexican Made Fenders are great guitars. You just need to decide on whether or not the J or the P is right for your ears. I personally have both to suit all my needs.

3. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    ive had demonstrations and it seems you can adjust the sound anyway. i prefer the sound of a P

4. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    and the shape

5. I played a few MIM Standard P basses back in February, and they are an excellent bass to start on, IMHO. You get a bass that's fine just the way it is, but you can also upgrade it (pickups, bridge, tunners) as you like, and can afford. As I mentioned in your other thread, try out a few Yamahas if you can. Their build quality is equal to, if not superior than the MIM Fenders. They also feel very similar to Fenders. Their tone is different, but it's still "Fender-like."

Let us know what you buy.

Good luck.

Mike

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I think a MIM Jazz would be a better bass to start out on, IMO.

7. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA

Why do you think that? To me a MIM p-bass is the perfect starter bass. It's versitile, sounds good, looks good, has a more comfortable neck, and can take a beating. Of course this is all my opinion.

8. canary

canary

Jun 1, 2004
    i tryed out everything i needed to. Epiphone thunderbird was just a limited sound, Squier P-Bass sounded cheap and a bit as if it was a toy and the yamahas were good value for money but maybe wouldnt last long. I tried some Fender Mexican made P-Bass`s and they were about perfect for what im looking for.

9. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I am a fender fanatic,I build them.mod them,play them,collect them ETC.while working at G.C. I had the honer of working on many basses and i have noticed on the mex standard series it was the P-BASS that seemed to be the better model of the two(J-being the other)
    They seemed to be a little better made, the neck was a little more beefywhich helped it stand up to temp. changes and being ruffed up a bit during shipping .
    I did all the out of box set-ups and the j-basses seemed to be a little more needy of tweaking than the P-model,i am no fan of the mex series but if I had to get one or the other it would be the p-bass mex over the j-bass mex(I like j-basses better than the p-bass except in this model) :meh: