1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender standard precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkybass, May 12, 2011.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I've really been wanting a precision. I've been looking for a used mia p, with no luck, but there are several mim p basses on craigslist for cheap. Are they decent? I can get one and upgrade the pickup for probably $400. I'll be using this bass live. I'd like a mia std at some point, but it would be nice to have a cheaper backup. Plus, there will be times I won't want to take a $1200 bass with me(like next weekend when we play a outdoor festival, my bass will be in the heat from 2-10).

2. lhdiz14

lhdiz14

Feb 14, 2011
    Make sure to check Ebay. I got a really sweet MIA for $600 and change.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Much has been written, here on TB, about the venerable P. Have you tried searching "Precision"?

The TB classifieds are also a fantastic source for deals on used bass gear.

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have two MIM P's... one is a 2006 model and the other is a 2010 model and both are great instruments with the stock pickups IMO....

5. I recently purchased two 2010 MIM P Bass Standards for the road. I have MIA's but I don't dare take them on the road, not with this band ;)

I was able to dial both in to near perfection in about 20 minutes, they play like butter and sound like an iconic P Bass should. Pickups and electronics are great, YMMV.

Try before you buy. There is some variation from run to run and year to year. Otherwise, since you seem to know your basses and have pickup or mod ideas, I see no reason why you wouldn't be content and set for the road with a good MIM Standard P.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I picked up a used 2005 Standard P-Bass for just under $300 last year at Daddy's Junky Music (a chain of stores in the Northeast).

Daddys.com - Over 14,000 Used Instruments Online Daily

The stock pickups are just fine, the neck is perfect and the previous owner even changed the pickguard to a fancy one!

7. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I'm going to look at a 11' std p Monday for $300. I like the idea of having a cheaper bass for some gigs. All my other basses are expensive(to me at least). The thought of leaving one of my stingrays or my carvins in the heat doesn't appeal to me.

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Don't surprised if you start to prefer the P, heat or not!

9. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been dragging my '73 P to every gig I've played, including some hot & rainy outdoor festivals, since 1985. In a soft gig bag. Can't kill these things.

10. I'm with dannylectro on this one. I have been playing the same 72 Precision,since 1972.
    I have lived in Florida and done many hot,muggy,rain soaked shows,lived out west in the mountains and it has been thru cold doing the ski circuits in the winter.Traveled Europe in all sorts of conditions and this bass has always been there for me.
    I joke with my friends about what a crappy bass this is,because I had to put new pickups (Lollars) last year after only 38 years of playing.
    Yea,it is worth a few dollars nowdays,but that does not seem to be a reason to buy a cheap bass to take out to gigs. I do not want a cheap sound,this bass has earned the tone it gives me and is like an old friend.
    I know every inch of this bass and every mark on it,tells a story of our travels together