1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Standart Jazz Bass Made in Mexico I guess. Is it a great bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Argojit, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    80.4%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Hey! I'm planning to buy a new bass. I've been playing over a year and a half. It'll be the 2nd bass that i've bought. My first one was an Ibanez sr300 or 200 I guess. As you can understand from the title what I need help with is if Fender Standar Jazz Bass is a great bass. I really would like to own a Fender Jazz Bass. This is the one that is the most affordable. I think that it is a really good bass. But I'd like to hear your opinions about it. If you can suggest me any other basses that is in the same price range that'd be great. I really like to hear your opinions about it. Thank you.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-standard-jazz-bass-guitar
    This is the bass that i'm talking about. Fender.FenderStandardJazzBass.ArcticWhiteMaple16747.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Fender's Mexican Standard are very well made basses. If you like Jazz basses you will be very happy with this bass. In my opinion it is an excellent value for the price.

3. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Hearing the same ideas that I thought about the bass from someone who knows much more about basses than me is a great thing.

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The MIM Fender Jazz or P are very solid basses and very much worthy of the Fender name imo, great alternatives to the more expensive US models - this also holds true for the Made in Japan Fender basses. I've owned quite a number of basses, both US Fenders and MIM Fender basses among them- acoustically speaking, there's very little difference between the two, in fact I found myself playing my MIM Fender a bit more. Better wood, better pickups, bridge etc. come with the US versions but you'd expect that by paying more.
    However, a few things I would consider if I were you - you can buy a MIM Fender used for around $300, where I live, and often you can find one in great condition for around the price. You can save your money that way and put it towards a better amp or towards another bass in the future. If you're willing to pay the new price, that's also getting close to the price of a used US Fender.

Also wanted to point out that your first bass, the Ibanez SR300 is on the low end of the Ibanez Soundgear models, once you get to the SR500 and above, you notice a huge jump in quality and sound. If you want to get another Ibanez bass now or in the future, try a SR500 or above in the Soundgear series.

GrapeBass, longfinger and Argojit like this.
  5. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've been playing the same made in Mexico J bass for 15 years. I love her like I love bad whiskey.

6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^This^^^
    ^^^Indeed^^^
    High Praise!

I carefully considered an Ensenada made Jazz, but went with an American Standard. Yes it cost twice as much. Today's American Professional Jazz is $1,500 vs $600 for the MIM Fender Standard Jazz. That $900 spread is quite a lot and could buy you a killer Fender Rumble 500 rig to go along with your new jazz bass.

7. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Fender Jazz bass.

Probably the "best" bass ever made. IMHO.

That being said....

These days Fenders are still hit or miss. Being the owner of an MIA Fender Jazz myself I had to run through 6 of them to find "the one".

Now I'm hopelessly in love. And I can't find anything else that can hold a candle to it.

I've only owned one MIM Jazz and it was a deluxe. Didn't like the neck or the pre amp.

I would advise you to try before you buy. When you find that "one" that speaks to you you will know. You won't even need to plug it in. You will feel it.

And ordering online works for some but not for me. I found out the hard way when I ordered an MIA precision bass. But I also found out I'm not a P guy.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    In general, the less you spend on a Fender, the less consistent. There are some great MIMs, there are some that bark. Always best to shop (and buy) in person.

Pbassmanca and hrodbert696 like this.
  9. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you. I checked some sites about used basses and stuff. But I wasn't able to find an US or MIM bass with the colour that I want. I'd probably have to travel to an another city to try the used bass. So I probably will go to a guitar shop and try the MIM one and buy it.

I have a cort amp GE15B. When and why should i change and upgrade it. It's ok when i'm playing at home and practicing. When I'm going play with a band There is mostly an amp for me to plug my bass.

SR500 and above is probably good too. But i really would like to own a fender bass. I don't know why but.

10. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Yes I'll probably buy a MIM standart jazz. And save up the money that I'd have spent if I had bought the american bass and can buy a better amp in the future.

Pbassmanca and dch0719 like this.
  11. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    What should I look for in a great Fender Jazz Bass. Will I feel it?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Before I buy I'll definitely try it. You said that I'd feel it. Can you give me some ideas about what should I be looking for when I go to the guitar shop to buy it.

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Straight neck that adjusts easy, quiet electronics, sounds good unplugged, not too heavy, etc.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Simply holding the bass in your hands can tell you what you need to know. I held many bass's in my hands and out of all of them maybe only 2 have had that "feeling".

You will know.

The neck will just feel right. You won't be able to miss a note.

Even if it has the wrong strings on or need a setup it will just fit you.

I hope you find it.

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  15. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you. I hope that I'll feel it and buy the right bass.

16. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    All good points. I got even luckier.

The Jazz bass I have has stayed 100% stock since I bought her. CS60 pickups. No 60 cycle hum when soloing either pickup.

17. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Get a good one, and keep it always close. It's like a good screwdriver, you'll need it.
    I used Standard on medium and big gigs for last 3-4 years, anything from 200 to 40.000 people in audience. Never had an issue or complaint.
    Having said that, a lot can be gained with couple of parts upgrade. Good strings and setup are first thing to do, but better pickups (i.e. getting alnico vs stock ceramic) can make your Standard sound just like your favorite Jazz from old records.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    I'm not quite sure if I'll be able to feel it. Because I haven't played that many basses. I probably have played only 4 basses.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Like I said. I had to play through several bass's at several retailers until I found the one I have.

I know you can get excited by what is right in front of you. but if it doesn't feel right you should move on.

20. Argojit

Argojit

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you. How I'll understand that it's the good one. Is there some specific things or the thing that you looked for when you were buying it.