1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Starcaster Flanger.. A review.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thekage, Oct 2, 2008.

1. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    I bought this pedal last night. I plan on taking it back.
    [​IMG]

It is very well constructed. Sucks no tone at all. And is not "noisy" per say. It really does not suck tone. In fact it may even add a little bit. I had all the knobs down and clicked it on and it added just a little gain.

I really could find no usable sounds though. It was either barely doing anything at all or sounded like a listening to a busted speaker through metal trashcan. The distinctive flanger jet engine woosh was really there and made most of the sounds I could get almost unusable.

The construction is top notch and seems like an awesome pedal. For 39 bucks its not a bad deal. I just don't like the sound of it at all. Not my cup of tea.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    How does it ADD tone? :p

I always thought the phrase "tone suck" was a bit silly. It's a tone change, usually less high end, and not identical to the clean tone.

Interesting, though. I didn't even realize Fender was making flanger pedals!

3. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Fender has a line-up of pedals designed to sell with their Starcaster guitars in big box (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) stores. Currently they have a flanger, chorus and distortion, each of which tend to be getting better reviews than you'd think a $40 pedal would score.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Huh. Kinda like Lyon, then? I see those pedals in Target all the time.

Or is that the same thing, repackaged?

5. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    I misspoke when I said it added tone. It added a slight bump in overall volume when I clicked it on, other wise the tone was the same.

6. As an aside, Gibson offers similar pedals in that price range to accompany their Maestro brand of guitars. Also sold in big box retailers, they have a phaser, chorus and distortion.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I started a thread about these a few days ago. My only question about these is why do they have to so damn big? These things are huge. Imagine putting 2 boss pedals in a line top to bottom. These are about that big.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They probably have a really tiny circuitboard too, so it's a big mostly-empty metal box.

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Reminds me of my old Deluxe Electric Mistress, or any other full size EHX pedal really

10. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    I took some pictures of the guts. I will post them in the morning. The circuit board is pretty huge. It also appears to be true bypass.
    I have no gripes with construction, just the sound. I will try to get some clips up sometime if I can. Who knows, it may grow on me.

11. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    As Promised...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    From looking at the pictures, what makes you think that the pedal is TB? I know it's possible to get TB via a DPDT switch, but it seems like it's not very common.

13. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    dpdt.

14. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Is there no LED on the pedal?

The most common (though still not often used) TB method with an LED and a DPDT is the so called "Millenium Bypass"

It's hard to tell from the pictures where those wires are going, so I can't really compare that schematic to what's going on in the pedal.

15. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    Ha, I used to have one of the Lyon distortion pedals. First pedal I ever bought. I was 16.

If I remember right, they're made by Washburn.

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We sell that pedal line at Hastings. Being the only musicians who works there my boss expects me to know everything about the instrument section. I'm supposed to push them as great bargain pedals but really they're just generic sounding without a whole lot of flare. Imagine a cheap Boss sound and there ya go.

17. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I believe the line in my sig is a great reference for the starcaster distortion pedal's sound. ;)

18. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    lol. That's where I bought mine at.