Fender std. Jazzbass V ( 5 string )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 29, 2002.

1. So...

I've got nice deal on a Black Standard Jazzbass V ( 5 string ).. anything you folks would like to share about this bass ? i know they sound very nice.. specially if you pop in some of those Seymour Duncan basslines and put a thicker bridge on it..

so ? gimme the word, baby :)
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    this bass is a good 5 string bass. unquestionable. obviously tou get what you pay for and you can't compare this one with a high end one. the most usual modification id the j-retro preamp. this preamp makes the Jazz sound shine and even the pickups sound is really better. the woods and craftmanship are at quite good level for the price. if you have a good deal on one of these i suggest you to test drive the bass. you have a goos attitude on upgrades and modifications and the jazz bass is the best design to be upgraded!!

let us know!
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Jazz V is a very good bass as it is and has a very distinct Pazzive Jazz Bass vibe despite being a 5 string. The neck is a bit chunky, but I find it very playable.

The pickups are excellent and so is the low mass bridge.

If you want a bass with "hotter" pickups and a high mass bridge or active EQ the Jazz V is a poor choice. Once again, IMO.

I am very happy with my 1997 Jazz V and would not change it. It sounds incredible whether plugged into an amp or a mixing board.
  4. why ?

i like big fat chunky necks.. got big hands :p
    I was thinking of putting some bartolini's in and maybe (!) a thicker bridge..

the bartolini's to get rid of the humming, and the thicker bridge coz the std bridges suck
  5. I'm very happy with my MIA Jazz V (it's also black), and have found that there is almost no humming when I use a decent quality lead chord and don't stand near any 60Hz noise sources (like don't face the bass six inches from your rack power transformer). Most of the time I have both volumes maxed anyway, which eliminates any hum that's there, but even with either one turned off, hum is negligible.

To add more dynamics to the tone, I got a Sadowsky preamp/DI box (Roger recommended not installing one in the bass). It blew me away in what it added to my tone choices. I've also used it with my F-Basses, but the real difference has been what it added to my Jazz.

Since I put on Marcus Miller DR's as well, I can nail that Marcus sound!! (Too bad I can't play like him)

I wouldn't put Barts on mine because:

1. I want it to sound like a Jazz
    2. I don't want it to sound too "electric", which I find Barts do.

I haven't got a reason to try Seymour Duncan's - I'm real happy with the stock pickups.

My advice: keep the bass as is, get the Sadowsky pre-amp, and some Marcus DR's.:)
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    hey allo got a question for ya? If you're going to upgrade pickups and such Why didnt you just go with the MIM DLX? Same body woods and such, just has much better pickups and electronics. The cost of upgrades on the standard would put you roughly at the same price of the mim dlx.

Just curious
  7. like i said.. i got a good deal on this particular bass ;)
  8. Lets hear it for the people that were unfortunate enough to be born with big hands! :D :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of the jazz bass sound, you should check out a bent plate bridge as a replacement. I really like the tighter --Stingrayish-- feel when I play and the snap on the top end they provide. As for the pickups, I've been considering on buying a cheap JazzV for a while and replacing the bridg pup with a humbucker by sawing into the body. But I doubt you would do anything that drastic.
  9. Guess what i bought ? :p

i was mistaken.. it's an active jazzbass.. with a brownish turtoise pickguard.

post pictures later on :)
  10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I have a standard 2001 jazz bass (black, obviously) and loaded it with EMG active pickups with a 18v supply and replaced the 'bent metal' bridge with a Badass II. sounds twice as clear and I have noticed a substantial increase in sustain and loads of headroom. Both are fairly cheap upgrades as im sure you know, and a good laugh too.

p.s replace the strat style control knobs with the am. standard jazz bass ones - they look much better in my opinion.

Hope you enjoy it man!
  11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pictures, yes!
    Please elaborate, exactly what "sucks" about the standard bridge? (You have a deluxe so it's got the option of through-body stringing or top load stringing - very nice!) I've changed the bridge on a Jazz bass from the original to a high mass before and prefer a low mass bent metal bridge on a Jazz.
  12. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I found the lateral movement of the bridge saddles a tad annoying.
  13. The standard bridge is a bit thin, but so far i don't have any complaints about the bass, except for the stock strings..

Man.. that thing is HOT (!) :eek: it has real deep lows, yet it stays crystal clear.. :D

The stringspacing on the bass is VERY nice.. wide spacing.. i never knew how enjoyable that could be.. :)

Yeah....i have a feeling this bass will be played a LOT :D :D
  14. B.t.w. it does not have thru-body stringing.. it's a MIM deluxe V , not a MIA deluxe V :)
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    so how this MIM V compare with your beloved ATK?
  16. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    where are those pics, man?
  17. it's uhm... well.. different..

the ATK has a LOT (!) of punch, and the MIM-JV has a lot of warmth.. you can't really compare them i guess...

for playing percussive style ( e.g. flea ), i'd certainly chose the ATK..

but for calm warm ballads.. the MIM-JV is tha bomb..

different style, different bass :)

as for the pictures.. i've made some photo's but..ofcourse i forgot my cam -> pc USB cable.. so it'll have to wait till tomorrow-morning 06:00 ( us time 23:00 ) :)
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

oh you did get the mim dlx...keep an eye on the back of the head stock, at the low B's tuning peg. Ive seen 3 of these basses now with a small crack in the wood there.

Overall ya got yourself a good bass there. Great sounding, easy to play, and pretty well constructed for the most part.

I wouldnt sweat the bridge on it too much either, Ive had the stock bridge on my since day one, that was about 2 or 3 years ago now and have'nt had any problems with intonation, staying in tune, sustain or anything.

Still thinking about swapping out the pickups on it? You've actually got a pretty good set of stacked humbuckers in there. ;)

same pickups and electronics as the older mia dlx 5 though, before they went to the noiselss ones.
  19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    AllodoX, I like the new avatar! I like the others would love to see pics. I'm sure the sound of that MIM Jazz V Deluxe and the ATK are VERY different and very complimentary as well. A nice pair of basses there to attack different sounds and styles.