1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Steve Bailey mods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Anyone done any mods they wanna share to their Fender Steve Bailey (fretted or fretless)?

So far all I've done is had some neck shims put in...but I plan to remove the preamp and make it passive, and probably swap out the pickguard for a different color.

I know at least one person put some Nordstrands in theirs...anyone else change something from stock??

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    You're modding a $2000+ bass?

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Sorta -- the neck needed a shim to get the action where I wanted it, and the preamp is a little noisy. Other than that it's perfect...tone and feel are fantastic.

Anyone else?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Have you tried shielding the preamp and checking the grounds in the control cavity? I didn't notice any issues when I played on at NAMM. You might also check the Fender forums to see if it's a common issue and how it was resolved.

I'd also go with an active/passive switch (probably in the form of a push/pull on the volume). Then again, I'm a man who likes his options and, if I like the sound of the bass, I try to keep things as stock as possible.

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Good thought on checking the Fender forums. I may yet do that, however, I find the preamp to not really be voiced to my liking for fretless anyway. I.e., I find that keeping it flat sounds best to me, and also, there's not quite enough treble rolloff, so I think a passive tone would work better for my needs.

If the bass ends up sounding radically different after taking out the preamp, I always could chuck it back in, but I think it's only going to improve the tone. If I was using the fretted version, however, I'd definitely keep the pre in, as I think it's voiced better for that (more boom and punch).

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +2,000! Basses in that price range are supposed to be pretty spot on in terms of what the buyer wants. If the bass needs modding, buy another bass with your 2 or 3K.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    OTOH once it's your bass, do what you want with it.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    That's the sound Steve Bailey likes. I had his old Aria sig (came across it used at SamAsh without knowing what it was) and it had the SD basslines in it.

2-band preamps don't sound good to me either, so I understand wanting to change it. Aguilar OBP-3 and Audere 3-band are going to be your best choices, IMO. If you want different pickups, the Norstrand NJ6SVs are amazing. You might have to Contact Carey about getting the sizing correctly, but they have an absolutely amazing silent jazz pup sound.

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Ummmm, how come he can do it and I can't!! :p

Attached Files:

10. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I actually love the sound of the bass, I just don't need the preamp, and I kinda think it's adding some noise. Since it really only adds boom and click (exactly...Steve Bailey's prefs, not mine), I don't see the need for it, since flat sounds great as it is with a little treble rolloff.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    What is that underneath the fretboard? I'm so confused.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Well, cool. Again, an active/passive switch in the form of a push/pull would be the best option, IMO, especially in the case that you ever choose to re-sell it or ever decide you need the preamp.

By all means, you're more than welcome to pull out the preamp or mod it to your liking. Nobody is stopping you. I don't own a single stock bass either, so I won't be criticizing you on modding the bass.

13. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think it's a couple magnets to add an extension to the FB. He's also changed out the pickups and pre and added a pickguard, but I realize he's also in the electronics business, so probably just experimenting.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That goes without saying. I think the reality is that as basses get more expensive, they get fewer and fewer mods.;)

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Haha I know -- I do agree that at this pricepoint it should be perfect, but I don't think I'm doing anything radical/permanent to it, and I have absolutely no plans to sell it either :D

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    More like:
    Re-finished, new pickguard, new pickups, new neck, new bridge, new preamp... so basically, it's the original body.

17. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    THe SB6 is a little noisy, but only when the bass isnt grounded. Killer bass. I dont see why more boutique guys like sadowsky wont make jazz sixers....

18. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Mike pope plays a fodera, not a SB6, the neck mod is for slapping Aram......

19. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    He's also way better than me, and has a Fodera endorsement...I was just showing that sometimes people with expensive basses do mods :)

20. MRSKI

MRSKI Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    SEATTLE
    I have an early production fretless,late 2008. It was super noisy to the point of being unplayable.It had no shielding at all so I took it to Mike Lull Guitar works and had Mike sheild the pre-amp cavity, wrap the pick-ups in copper foil and make sure it was properly grounded.The bass is now dead quiet.If I would have purchased this bass new I would have taken it back but I aquired it at a very good price so it was worth the expence of having it shielded.Hopfully the more recent production has addressed the lack of shielding.The bass plays and sound great.Fairly lite for a sixer,nice comfortable neck and very well balanced.