Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Steve Harris P-Bass Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Aug 19, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Just had my Harris P-bass at Guitar Center for the third time (bad pots again :( ); this time I had them order genuine Fender pots, not the cheap ones they carry on the shelf. Anyway, while the clerk was talking to a representative at Fender he found out that the reason Fender made these for such a short period of time was that Steve Harris never consented to having this instrument produced. I guess that's why Steve doesn't use one live, eh?!

Apparently this means you won't see these ever produced by Fender again. So hold onto these rare gems if you're lucky enough to own one! :bassist: :cool:

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Do you have it strung with flats? Love his sound. Does anyone know what kind of rig he used back in the early days?

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    He "knew" about it when I interviewed him a few years back and I asked him about it. He told me that he had no input into it whatsoever and that it was sort of an after thought to the Iron Maiden guitar Fender came out with at the same time.

He was neither upset or happy about it...was just sort of "blah" about the whole thing.

SH is one of the most "non-techy" pros I've ever talked to...he said that's what his tech is for...he's there to play.

I still have that interview on tape and it's never been published. Bass Frontiers Magazine went under before it was published.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    SH trivia question...

Do you know why he generally plays with one foot up on a stage monitor?

[​IMG]

5. I really love mine. Although it doesnt see as much action with my horde of Rics hanging about. :smug:

A wonderful P-bass indeed.

[​IMG]

6. I don't know exactly, but with his obsession with footie, I'm gonna guess it has something to do with an old injury? :p

I want that jersey, though.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yup bad back...soccer injury.

8. Any chance of releasing it? A TB exclusive maybe? :hyper:

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Steve Harris sig was the first non-vintage Fender I ever came to like, back in my Ernie Ball days of course. Met a kid who had one, and I offered to trade straight up. Smart kid, he wouldn't part :)

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Oi vey. More GAS.

How much are these going for on Ebay?

11. would you transcribe it?

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Maybe I'll get it transcribed and send it in to Ed Friedland now at Bass Guitar Magazine...have a few others unpublished as well including Jack Bruce...

[​IMG]

13. That is great. What was it like to meet Steve Harris? Is he as cool as he seems. I'd love to meet him and just kick back with him!

14. mmmmmmm now if only that had a black scratchplate... ;)

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I though he did it so he could get it to undtick to his legs. lol

The Stever Harris bass if probably the best looking Fender P i've ever set my eyes on.

16. Hey guys, one of the previous posts stated that Steve was neither here nor there about his sig bass. I think I might know why. I read in a Bass Player interveiw that he takes very little interest in his gear, could this be a reason?

17. I gotta say, Steve is the man. Great metal chops (though he barely knows, technically speaking, what he's playing), awesome songs and arrangements- and a humble dude to boot. :D :bassist:

I've wanted one of these forever...and yes, IMPOSSIBLE to find- how much did you porud owners pay to get one? :eyebrow:

I figure that rigging your own wouldn't be that hard- Steve's bass is just a P-Bass with Duncan SPB-1 pickups and a BadAss II. And his sig Rotosound flats, of course.

18. I have to say, I was rather surprised when I started reading TB and learned that Steve uses flats. His sounds is always so up front and clicky that I just assumed he used rounds. He sure looks like he's banging those things hard when he plays, though... so maybe it's just too overbearing if he doesn't use flats?

19. Steve began using flats early on- because of alll the dynamic time changes Maiden uses, the roundwounds would get all clangy and buzzy- but I think you're right, this is all because he really picks hard.

20. I put the BadAss ll and SPB-1 onto my MIM Pbass, upgraded the pots to USA ones too, and I figured that I had a SH sig bass right there, almost. I'm not sure that hunting down the real thing is worthwhile really.