1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Steve Harris P Bass - Is it a fake Chinese copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigorno, Oct 26, 2013.

1. bigorno

bigorno

Jan 12, 2011
  2. amfan

amfan

Apr 27, 2001
    No
    Dude, if ever there is a time to suspicious, its on the interwebs. I'd hold off and never use the site for anything.

3. BowserBass

BowserBass

Jan 18, 2012
    Wonder what Guitar Center would say if you tried to get a price match?

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    It's bs....look at the generously discounted price on the Fender 74 reissue bass.

5. Yep. It's a scam. Upload any of those images from their "about us" tab to Google Images and it shows they are from already existing music stores and even from the Schecter website! Sneaky.

6. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
  7. BowserBass

BowserBass

Jan 18, 2012
    not a phone number or address to be found on that site. SCAM

8. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    That does not make for a scam. There are plenty of online retailers that will only conduct customer contact through email, which this site does provide.

With that being said, if the site is a scam, it's a pretty advanced scam for a site and I used to have to identify internet fake stuff, emails scams, bad sites, etc. Now I'm not saying that it isn't, but if it is, they've done a really good job.

I'd almost be willing to try it myself and if it went bad I would just file a claim with my credit card company for fraud and have the transaction refunded. That's me though and don't recommend that people go off and do it.

9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Same color body and neck as the Sig series is available in a MIM Std P for less than $600. You could change the pups and still be ahead. And it would actually show up, not sure what you will get other than taken to the cleaners on this deal.

Or it could be a blem of unmentionable damage. Just say no, not worth the hassle of dealing with.

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Miskatonic....any reputable online seller has contact details....usually at the very least a customer service telephone number. If you honestly think these guys are legit advertising a $ 2300 Fender 74 reissue for $700 and change then you are more trusting than I am.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I wouldn't buy anything off any of the websites posted above. Way too fishy.

12. I don't know what this is doing in the description. "New single-coil Fender Select Jazz Bass pickups pump warm and full low end,snarling midrange and ringing highs. fender bass case The Fender Select Jazz Bass elevates our most sonically versatile bass to the height of alluringly refined elegance and power,with a striking Amber Burst gloss-lacquer finish and flame maple top. It too has a modern C shaped quartersawn maple neck with Posiflex graphite support rods,satin lacquer finish and rear-headstock Fender Select medallion".

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Whenever I see grammatically challenged ads I usually suspect fraud.

14. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
  15. zxcvbs

zxcvbs

Mar 8, 2009
    stingrays are 696 dollars.

16. nutsch

nutsch

Oct 22, 2013
    Napa, CA
  17. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    The website has a .ca extension which implies Canada, but they ship by EMS, which means China.

Further, when you look up the info on who owns the website, you get this:

Administrative contact:
    Name: sun315 lin112
    Postal address: china, hubei
    WUHAN United States Minor Outlying Islands
    Phone: +86.13545035430
    Fax:
    Email: 365777076@qq.com

So not only are you buying fakes, you're buying them at 3X the price of an 'honest fake' and paying nearer to western retail prices.

This website is a very elaborate storefront for some broker, who takes the orders and gets the fakes made at factories who sell them to him 20-30% of what he is selling them for. All he needs is one sucker per week and he's making more than your typical factory worker. Two suckers a week and he's making executive money. A sucker every day - which is only 365 instruments per year - and he's a high roller. Not hard to imagine that he'd get lure in an order a day...

18. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    ??? Ad says $79.98 shipping.

19. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    But it's coming from Qingdao, a beautiful coastal city full of modern flavor and classical elements. Doesn't that make it worth it?