1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Steve Harris Pots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bofuss, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Bofuss

Bofuss

Apr 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Hello All:

Recently bought a used Steve Harris P Bass and while cleaning it, I noticed that both pots had split shafts. The whole bass is working perfectly, pots included.

It just struck me as odd to find split-shaft pots on a CIJ Fender. Are these original? Have they been replaced? What do other Steve Harris basses normally come with this type of pot?

km

2. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Aug 11, 2010
    Really? I thought they came with solid shafts. When was your bass built? The Steve Harris bass released nearly ten years ago is a bit different to the one released a few years ago.

3. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    Fender Japan makes the new ones.
    They use split shafts from personal experience.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    In my experience most all MIJ/CIJ Fenders have used split-shaft pots. One exception I can think of is the Geddy Lee which I believe has MIA pickups/electronics.

5. There have been 2 steve harris's . I would rather have the newest.When was yours made?

6. Bofuss

Bofuss

Apr 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    The Steve Harris has a Txxxxxx serial number, probably a '94 or
    '95, that would increase the likelihood of having replacement pots.

(Just looked under the pickguard -- definitely not MIJ-quality soldering! Oh well, it still sounds great.)