Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Sting Bass Reissues????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ttekulve, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Does anyone know anything about the Sting bass reissues? I found one from the early 90's, but it does not have the contoured body the '54 p bass had. I was told the first run done back then was done as a slab body. The serial number is real. Says made in '93. Any info on this would help. Also are there any other differences between the original reissues and the ones made today?

Tom T.

2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Can't help you on the question, just an observation.... I love it when a company needs several stabs at making an authentic reissue of their own products. take Gibson, how many years in a row have they re-reissued the 59 or 60 Les Paul now? Every year it is supposedly more accurate than the last. This year is their million dollar investment just to reproduce a "bumblebee" capacitor like they used to 40 years ago.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a Sting re-issue and the bass you speak of is not a Sting bass. That bass is a re-issue of the first p-bass 51-53 which has the non-contour slab body. The Sting re-issue is said to be a 54 p-bass, but his real bass is said to be a 56 or 57 depending on who youy talk to.