Fender Sting P-Bass, new p-up???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassAxe, Mar 18, 2003.

1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I got a Sting signature bass. Buying one was not on my To-Do List, but Mars Music was going out-of-business and the price was too good to pass up.

It sounds good and all, but the low end leaves much to be desired. The note is there, but there just isn't enough tone, no depth, no bass.

It has one of those skinny little pick-ups I usually see only on guitars. Could this be the problem? Are there replacement pickups of the same shape/design made for bass?

2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I have never seen anything like it on anything but those kinds of fenders, but someone must be making something thatll fit.
  3. check out seymour duncan, the pup in question is the original style p bass pup. then known as a tele bass. i use the quarter pound in my tele bass. trust me, there is plenty o bass.
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Paging Funkster. He was going to replace his.
  5. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i just got a Sting signature P-Bass myself. these are the three that Seymour Duncan is offering:

Vintage Single Coil P-Bass: Bright, smooth early single coil P-Bass (pre '57).

Hot Single Coil P-Bass: Warmer with higher output.

Quarter Pound Single Coil P-Bass: Punchy and bright with medium output.

i'm going to wait for the stock pickup to crap out before i replace it... i'm also going to replace the pots with a pair of these 250k "no load" control pots:
  6. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I was going to suggest the same thing. These sound GOOD!!! Really good.
  7. <a href="http://www.lollarguitars.com/index.htm">Lollar</a>

If you look on this guy's site he lists a single coil 50's P-bass style pickup. Since the guy designs and wires his own pickups I'd say he probably knows his stuff. I'm thinking of picking up some replacement pickups from him.

I'm also thinking of having a special pickup designed and made for me that would allow me to isolate each specific string. *shrug* just a thought I was playing with.

8. There really is no right or wrong position, it's a matter of taste or tone, which ever you prefer.

;) Treena
  9. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    well, those full-on pots i got were too big for the cavity in the bass. regardless, i pulled out all the electronics and put shielding everywhere...very nice... unfortunatly when i rewired everything (i hate soldering!) i couldn't get it to pick up my playing... so now i'm thinking the pickup is shot, in which case i can buy a new one, the orignal pots are shot, the capacitor is shot or reversed (hard to read the tiny capacitor!), or i just suck... i'm thinking it's the latter...

any suggestions?

my wiring follows the perscribed schematics so we'll just keep digging and trying new stuff....

10. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have sold a bunch of the SD SCPB pickups to Sting owners. The most popular seems to be the "Hot" followed by the "Quarter Pounder". It seems the "Hot" does a good job of filling in the missing bottom you mentioned.
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There's another Seymour Duncan offering that hasn't been posted yet. The Custom Shop "Stack for Single Coil P-Bass" pickup. I believe it's the pickup that Sting actually uses, and it's noiseless.

Here's a link:
    Stack for Single Coil P-Bass

It's the last one under "Other Pickups".
  12. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

THAT is the one I would buy!
  13. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    This is for sure a good option if you need a noiseless pickup but the cost is more than double the standard single coils. The tone to my ears is somewhere between the "Vintage" and "Hot" single coil.
  14. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

+1 for the Rio
    I just took the SD QP out of my Fender Sting (from Funkster) and replaced it with the Rio Grande P-51 Muy Grande pickup along with replacing the pots with 250K mini pots, new cap and a switchcraft jack and it sounds great. :D
  15. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX

i think $140 stack from Seymour Duncan is a little pricey...how much is the Rio Grande P-51 Muy Grande? is it comparable to the the Seymour Duncan SCPB-3 Quarter Pound given the meaty 1/4" magnets in both? where did you actually purchase it?

after further fiddling with the electronics in my Sting, i've determined that the original pickup is shot... it generates zero AC volts on the multimeter when the strings are played so into the trash it goes. i like what you've done in replacing everything to ensure you have clean, new connections throughout. did you use the stock capacitor or did you get another one?
  16. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    If going the new electronics route you might as well shield it while your at it ....
  17. basstones

basstones Supporting Member

In comparision I think the Rio is a little less hot than the SDQP but with the same bottom, highs and mids as the SD if that makes sense. I have the TI flats on the Sting and it has a real nice bluesy sound with a lot of mid control by rolling the tone pot. I purchased mine through Warmoth and I think they run about 10 bucks more than the SDQP.

I replaced it with new one .047 mfd
    I bought the rewire kit from Guitar Electornics.
  18. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the cap bypass on the Sting\51 R.I?..(like the Ric mod). I own a '82 Ric 4001 and done the mod and it works great. I also own a 51 r.i and was wondeing if the same results would happen to the Sting\51 R.I
  19. 79PBass

Mar 7, 2005
    just had the custom Seymour stack for SCPB installed on my sting , sounds huge and keeps the SC tone, great highs, huge bottom, noiseless